Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't get a good face shot, but these two show off her widdle dead leaf features.

Deroplatys truncata i6 female

20190302_190520%20-%20Copy.jpg

20190302_190401%20-%20Copy.jpg

When she locks her raptorials down, it's hers. She was eating waxworm. But, waxworm, mealworm, towel, finger,  steel, or your soul. Doesn't matter. 

😵👍

Nice pictures! What is that black spot on the top of the league's abdomen? Mine don't have that.

- MantisGirl13
Someone on a FB group had an orchid with a spot. A bunch of folks came out and said its normal in some nymphs.

Although this individual's mantis turned out to have a problem, I asked, along with a photo, and people concurred that some orchids get a dark tip like that.

Someone on a FB group had an orchid with a spot. A bunch of folks came out and said its normal in some nymphs.

Although this individual's mantis turned out to have a problem, I asked, along with a photo, and people concurred that some orchids get a dark tip like that.
Ya, I figured out that it was normal by looking at some other orchid pictures and they (almost) all had the black spot. I wonder why mine don't?

- MantisGirl13

Its just the flash making everything behind dark. I need some lights and a good lens for our Nikon. That was taken with my phone. 🤪

But thank you.😁

Oh, @Graceface. And I got to see my orchids plucking flies out of the air as they fly by. INCREDIBLE! 

Just wow!
So fun, right? 👍😊

I have had many specimens who retain a piece of frass at the tip of their abdomen. While I do not know the reason why this occurs, most seem to get on just fine so I don't worry. 

One female specimen of mine did die from what seemed to be complications from this issue, and I believe I've lost a male like this, too. It has appeared as an issue at subadult in the affected specimens, in the form of discoloration in the surrounding area. The male never molted and stopped eating. The female kept eating, molted to adult, then refused food and died within 48hrs. 

I wonder what causes the frass issue? Is it humidity related, perhaps? 

Either way, in general this doesn't seem to be a health problem for most specimens I've owned.