Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@hysteresis

Yeah I got you. But what makes it hard? What are the kind of living conditions required for them?

@hysteresis

Yeah I got you. But what makes it hard? What are the kind of living conditions required for them?
Blephs require high heat, and low humidity, but they are prone to mismolt because they cannot grip smooth surfaces and most do not make it to adult.

Idolos are the same way but worse. They are very prone to mismolts, cannot grip smooth surfaces, require high heat, high humidity, and high ventilation, a very tricky combo. They only eat flies and flying insects, and most do not make it to adult. 

- MantisGirl13

@Mitch65009 @MantisGirl13 There is something weird about these blephs. I have had a few now, and they go through all their molts fine so far, until adult molt. Mine had a decent gripping surface, but just couldnt get out of their exuvia. 2 times in a row now. I increased humidity on the 2nd one for its final molt and it did better than the first, but still nothing. Maybe it needed more heat. I don't know.

My remaining male is due to molt in a week or two. I'll have to do a bit of digging to see what I can improve.

In the meantime, there's a fresh bleph hatch in TX and I have my name on ten. 😉

Just waiting for their i2 molt.

Ya, I've noticed the same thing! Let me know if you do anything to improve and if it works, because I have two sub blephs that I don't want mismolting! Who had a bleph hatch?

- MantisGirl13

So, here's my remaining good boi. LoL.

20190418_205458.jpg

The outer cup is to mask the ventilation a bit. He still has tons. Meshed lid. Cotton pad to raise humidity. My shelf shows 45/50% but it is much lower under the IRs. My hope is to provide juicy feeders, humidity, and higher heat as well, this time. The temperature gauge is inside now. Reads 85 at the bottom.

20190418_210141.jpg

Do you know anyone who sells a variety of mantids to Ontario?
I know where there are orchids and ghosts right now. The orchids are in Van. The ghosts are in TX or South Carolina. Theres also thistles and numbers are limited. Pass on those until you figure things out a bit more.

Ghosts are super easy and a pleasure to keep.

I believe he's male. He was sexed and marked on cup as male.

She wasnt sure if they were sent as i4 or i5. I felt they were too small to be either, but we'll see.

With this molt, id say i6 is out of the question. i4 or i5.

What do you think @MantisGirl13 That's a quarter.

20190419_110007.jpg

Congrats on the Molt! Yen is awesome. I am getting some R.Stalli from him next week :) . I hope the new Bleph do better for you. I remember there is two different variants of Bleph in the hobby, one from the Northern Part and one from the southern Part. The northern variety I think can deal with cooler temperature and their ooths actually require a dispause. I wonder if they also require higher humidity as well..

@hysteresis @MantisGirl13 Someone posted this pic on a FB group and it helped me a lot in sexing my Orchids at L3, if you have a magnifying glass or a macro lenses you can see the V notch in females if its hard for you to count the segments:

32701428157_79ccf36729_k.jpg

Latest posts