Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno. My girl bleph may be getting ready to molt. Or, she may be weak.

She does seem lethargic, but is actively swatting away food. Maybe it is just a molt. Wing buds prominent, so i'm fairly certain shes sub.

Still, see how she's drooping, and hanging on from one rap, while letting the other fall kinda lax. Last molt March 13th.

I think I remember another bleph that got really weak pre molt and it scared me. Molted fine in the end. I dunno.

20190417_203915.jpg

Here's her dude. He perches a bit more lively. Holds his raps up close, like what i'm used to from them.

His last molt was March 23.

20190417_203929.jpg

My nerves are frazzled. She's hanging lower, and is pumping her abdomen. Pulls herself up erratically once or twice then settles.

Sounds a lot like a molt starting, but i've never caught a thistle at this stage, so I dont know what to expect.

My spiny did a Stevie Wonder swaying thing and I could see him sliding himself out. That was wild!

Anyways, hanging low.

20190417_224340.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@hysteresis She's molting for sure! She is hanging rather low, I hope she makes the molt! It's her last, so she'll be adult after she's done.I hope she has a good trip on the lid. Keep an eye on her and be ready to rescue her if she falls. 

- MantisGirl13

@hysteresis She's molting for sure! She is hanging rather low, I hope she makes the molt! It's her last, so she'll be adult after she's done.I hope she has a good trip on the lid. Keep an eye on her and be ready to rescue her if she falls. 

- MantisGirl13
She does pull herself up, like a twitch. But then she settles back down low.

She eaten waxworms twice in about two weeks, along with a spike, and BBFs. And, I've kept a moistened pad evaporating into her cup for days. She's still very well vented, but I did restrict the venting at the bottom of the cup, to ensure moisture goes up and out, instead of straight out the sides. I removed the venting restriction, and removed her interior perch she never uses it anyway (only when she walks around a bit).

And so my watch begins... 

Ok. Keep us updated on her and take lots of pics!! Such an exciting, tense moment, I know!

- MantisGirl13

Something to pass the time..

i4 orchid nymph. I've never had males before. Cropped, to minimize the awful distraction of my wrinkly hands.

20190417_225429.jpg

Mega, prowling about. Glass needs a wipe down, so hard to get a good shot.

20190417_232458.jpg

Mismolt. 😔

When I came back to the room shed twisted her body sideways, with her raps stuck. In front of my eyes, she fell onto her cotton pad.

I slung her up with some light tape from the abdomen, away from her lady parts. Kept her limbs as straight as I could. Well see how she comes out of it. Shes moving her legs so maybe.

Bummer.

Latest posts