Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for your loss😢
Thanks. Totally a learning experience.

I've rigged up a way to maintain ventilation but retain humidity at the later instars (I plan to reuse these cups as-is in the future).

I just have to decide what to do with Sir Gongy. He's fully exposed (in a mesh cube) to the 30% we have in the house (right now). Maybe he'll go into something that will retain moisture better.

Last edited by a moderator:
@hysteresis I saran wrap (and taped) three sides of one of my netcubes and currently experimenting with this, I use to do this with my frogs when I didn't have time to build a glass lid and have to use a screen cover. So far seems to make humidity a bit higher but still giving ventilation on top. You can try doing just one or two sides and see if it raises your humidity.

My cube has one clear plastic face. I have that facing out. The cube sits in a corner against two walls.

So, only two mesh faces exposed. I keep a plastic dish with a wet washcloth inside for evaporative humidity.

Theres also a coolmist humidifier next to it. Hopefully its good like that. 

The blephs are fine now. I keep a moist cotton pad in their cups and have covered half the mesh windows I cut in.

Still a ton of ventilation, plus a source of evaporative humidity.

😎👍

I present to you 'Petunia'. Marcie's orchid. Freshly molted!

She's quite a bit bigger than her sister.

20190404_192845.jpg

Gratz on the molt of your orchid . She is a beauty
Thanks. They're  both cute. She's bigger than her sister. She is favouring a back leg some, but shes using it okay.

Its a shame I dont have any guys to throw at em. I feed the older gal pieces of superworm and she gobbles that up. Im sure I could fill their bellies enough to attempt a mating.

Maybe I'll try to get a few males.. 

Yeh. They need some males.

On another note, ive been trying hard to get some water into Sir Gongy. He didnt even notice the waxworm I put in his mesh. I pulled him and the waxworm out and tabled him. He'd track it, but no dice. Maybe he's gonna molt? Don't want a mismolt. He's very dear to me. I owe him.

He needs water in him. Hopefully the gutloaded BBFs and misting of the mesh, and droplets, etc have induced him to drink.

Any tips?

Here she is again. For scale, she's about the length of a Bic lighter.

Funny how they morph. as an L4 nymph, she had quite a bit of pink on her. Guess it never took hold, in spite of pink flower perches.

Nonetheless, we love her. 🤣

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

Here Sir Gongy just eyeballs the waxworm, but goes no further.

It's either that he only likes his flies (triggering the prey instinct), or he wants to molt.

He molted March 15th to i8, if my mantis friend was correct in assessing its instar at time of delivery.

DSC_0026.JPG

It looks like he's gonna molt soon. What instar is he? From the picture, he looks sub-adult. That means you could have an adult soon! Mist him lightly and directly. He will groom it off and drink the water.

- MantisGirl13

It looks like he's gonna molt soon. What instar is he?
I acquired him as i5 on January 30th. By my count, he's i8. I have no idea how many molts gongy males get.

People give different answers as to how many molts they get, and care sheets do too. URGHHH!

Timestamp

MANTIS

EVENT

COMMENT

3/15/2019 

GG2

MOLT

i8

2019-02-27

GG2

MOLT

i7

2019-02-04

GG2

MOLT

i6

From the picture, he looks sub-adult. That means you could have an adult soon! 
Another photo for when you have a minute:

DSC_0006.JPG

And another, cos he's so dapper!

DSC_0001.JPG

He's so alien! I think you can expect him to be an adult within the next few weeks!

- MantisGirl13

He needs water in him. Hopefully the gutloaded BBFs and misting of the mesh, and droplets, etc have induced him to drink. 
I hope so too. Maybe giving some honey water? that is how I got Ayaweya to drink yesterday. Her belly looks very full and didnt want to give more food and wanted to get some fluids in her. it worked.

Latest posts