Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think other black tarsus will fall off too. I hope it will grow back. with next molt. Tarzan didnt had a tarsus  on 1 his front legs, but it has grown partially back after his molt. I think with next molt it will be healed completely.

I think other black tarsus will fall off too. I hope it will grow back. with next molt. Tarzan didnt had a tarsus  on 1 his front legs, but it has grown partially back after his molt. I think with next molt it will be healed completely.
The left tarsus is lost for sure, but maybe not the tibia. Her ability to articulate the tibia about its joint seems to have improved some.

Only the tibia tip is a bit darker than i'd like. We'll see. ❤️

Another milestone for me.  Bought me some vented deli cup sets.  I feel as if i've arrived. 🤣

BSFs - The black soldier flies are only available as larvae. I'll wait for the fresh batch next week sometime.

I have to figure out how to get them to pupate, and emerge as flies.  🤔

And, bought an Exo-Terra for Noel. She'll be happy in there! 🤩

Exo-Terra ... I don't yet know how to set this up so it's pretty and functional. I guess some mesh to climb, coco substrate, and a stick to start.

BSFs ... I have a mix of larvae that are younger as well as darker ones ready to pupate. I need to set up some media for the ones that will eventually pupate.

Wax worms ... don't know what to do here. Maybe i'll try to grow moths. Ill feed one or two as-is I guess.

Deli cups ... I feel like a boss. 👊😎

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a beautiful enclosure, but I suck at making it nice. She's gonna need thicker stuff to climb on.

The cup has a few BSF pupae im hoping will yield some flies.

20190103_232723.jpg

I love these deli cups. So easy.  This is perfect.  A bit big for the mios and the rhombos today, but I think they'll adapt. Crickets will ramp right up the stalks and chomp chomp.

20190103_232559.jpg

20190103_232542.jpg

Are there bigger size deli cups? Ill be gettint a sub adult orchid that id like to lrt her molt in these?

Are there bigger size deli cups? Ill be gettint a sub adult orchid that id like to lrt her molt in these?
They make bigger deli cups, but they are wider than they are tall and not ideal for molting

I wouldn't keep your sub female orchid in a 32oz, I'd go bigger for her molt. She will need the extra space. I've had females mismolt in 32oz cups due to size. 

The neatest thing to see is the mios just wanna hang out on the leaves of the plastic foliage instead of the lid.

M. caffra are said to hang out on the undersides of leaves. I think they're happy in these cups.

Even Susannah Mio (if you read The Dark Tower series, there's an inside reference there... almost) that cant decide if shes ready to molt, has come down into the green foliage.  😁

Susannah Mio is weeks late to molt.

Second guessing myself again, I threw her a fistful of hydei a couple hours ago.

She took two within minutes of each other. She's still out hunting. Up the sides, up and across her foliage.

👆 This is so confusing. 

Eddie Mio took a pinhead cricket, and is stalking another. His abdomen looked so thin after his molt.

I love watching them approach right before a strike.

Latest posts