Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they will take their own time to molt. ;)
A bittersweet truth:

Noël and Hope are L6 with wing buds.

That means adulthood is next.

Hope likely wont heal enough in this one remaining molt to have a good life as an adult. She may (continue to) surprise me, but it's unlikely when you think about it. 

We'll still try, but...

Wait... for how many instars do we see wing buds?

I don't even know how many instars venosa have. FAIL. 

My mantis guy saw Hope's wingbuds in a photo and said her next is molt adult. But she's L6? 😶

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Noel showing just how much of a piggy she is.

20190106_160042.jpg

After this roach, I dare not feed her for a few days.

20190106_160142.jpg

She may not eat until she molts again.

20190106_160019.jpg

Shows how much of a noob I am.

I inquired with my mantid dude and he acknowledged he must've lost track of their instars.

Hierodula females go L9 or L10, so by these wing buds, they MUST be L8 or L9. 

I hope the ghost / spiny deal goes better than this. Price was good to me.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my R. megaeras tho'.

She is fat, fat like mine (Aurene) after her grasshopper. No need to feed mine for a couple of days too. She is a bottomless pit.😁

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my R. megaeras tho'.

This hobby is instantly rewarding. I can pick up a cup, look at a specimen, and enjoy it right here and now.

Maybe this is why I love it like I seem to.

Also, did I say I love my little Rhombo nymphs? 👊😝

Here's Roland

Rhombodera megaera #1,  I'm told L4,  male.

20190107_232518~01.jpg

EDIT: I know we take them out to get better photos, but sometimes it's just picking up the jar and having a good look. The way he's perched just really pleased me to behold.

This hobby is instantly rewarding. I can pick up a cup, look at a specimen, and enjoy it right here and now.
I ike to look at them too. Aurene was whole day out of her home and sitting on my desk. I just enjoy her sitting there. And looking at me.❤️ She is big enought to find easely again😁

I ike to look at them too. Aurene was whole day out of her home and sitting on my desk. I just enjoy her sitting there. And looking at me.❤️ She is big enought to find easely again😁
This house isn't the safest for free-roaming mantids. I have two very fast little boys that don't always watch where they're going!

But I have been known to feed Noël a nice dubia out of her enclosure. I just perch her on top of a deli cup to eat.

Fun to watch for sure! 

I came home today to find Roland (Rhombo male) had molted. Again, I have instar confusion.

I was sold my 2 R. megaera nymphs as "L3/L4". Having molted twice in my possession, shouldn't he be bigger at even L5?  My dude said he may have been one instar younger so maybe L2? That would make him L4 now.

Any guesses at his instar? Standard 32 oz deli cup. He's approx. 1 3/8" [ 35 mm ] long.

20190109_213318.jpg

Gratz on the molt👍 I dont know what instar he is.
Thank you. 😁

I spoke again to my mantis dude, and by this better photo, he believes it is L5. This would mean my nymphs were received as L3.

He says males are adult at L9, therefore he still has lots of molts to grow through. 

20190110_021308.jpg

Hey! Some recent photos of a few of my mantises.

Hierodula venosa female, suspect presubadult, Noël. Finishing off a small cricket:

20190111_000922.jpg

20190111_000851.jpg

Forgive my nasty fingertip. The cold weather and dry indoors wreak havoc on my skin. I believe Noël will be a good size!

20190111_000551.jpg

Here is that crazy Miomantis caffra female "that doesn't seem to want to molt ever", L4, Susannah. Her 1/4 pin cricket is apparently yummy. That's a dime for size reference:

20190110_225729.jpg

20190110_225630.jpg

Neat back shot of my Rhombodera megaera male, L5, Roland. I don't see anything like wing buds. They're still tiny:

20190110_191322.jpg

Oh yeah. Male rhombo #2 Randall molted yesterday. L5.

Maybe i'll stop with the pictures for a bit. At least until Susannah the Glorious finally molts. 🙄

The other two have amazing colour. These mios are actually very VERY pretty.

Thanks again,  @Aristalochia!

Jake, male M. caffra #1, molted to L6 today.

I am collecting a bowl of exuviae. Am I gross? 😝

Still no molt for Susannah. Shes been 'lapped' by both her brothers. 😢