Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! I am so glad they arrived ok! 

Ya, spinys are hard to photograph!

- MantisGirl13

Awesome! Congrats ♥️👍 I'm 'out of reactions' today so I can't like your post, lol
Happens to me *every day*. Haha.

I wish I could like EVERY post I see on here. Y'all have so much good stuff to share, as well as good rhetoric and banter.

How's the new acquisitions? Get them warmed up?

How's the new acquisitions? Get them warmed up?
Well... 50/50. They arrived cold in a flat and narrow box. I got em warm and gave them honey water, water, bee pollen/honey powder, and flies (the old kitchen sink treatment). One is doing okay now, she is moving around and ate her flies. The other isn't doing well. She was unresponsive on arrival and hasn't improved at all, despite all the care and warmth. 

Happens to me *every day*. Haha.

I wish I could like EVERY post I see on here. Y'all have so much good stuff to share, as well as good rhetoric and banter.
Me too, on both accounts ❤️😊 Why do we even have to have a reaction limit??? 

New hydei culture that isn't producing yet. So trying not to tap into it yet. 

Spinys take bits of anything off a toothpick. Five of the six anyways.

Ghosts, not a chance. Ill have to shake off a few hydei. Ill call my fly guy tomorrow and see if he has any ripe cultures.

Geeze I'm having a great time tonight! 

I had hoped my first ghost photo would be decent. ... Not so much! 🙄

Phyllocrania paradoxa, L2. Is this a girl?

20190116_205054.jpg

A bit better. Here is the older of the spinys.

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergi, L4. I don't even know where to find the new eyes i'd need to determine its gender.

20190116_204355.jpg

Really hard to tell on the sex of Ghosts at L2, I'd wait until L3 then the crowns become more distinct. So cute though! Sorry about your lack of producing FF cultures. The Ghosts will want 3-5 Hydeii each at that age. 

Love the Spinys! They are so adorable ♥️ I've considered getting into them, but I've got a full plate with my orchids and ghosts currently. Maybe Someday...

The Ghosts will want 3-5 Hydeii each at that age. 
Yeh. Tonight they each (ghosts) took two. That's all id spare from it today. Its just starting to produce larvae.

The spinys ate little bits of waxworm. 

I'm in a unique situation, in that I know the folks that make the hydei cultures for the reptile shop ive been buying them from. A brick and mortar is always more accessible than say, a craigslist seller. But I will ask them if they have an established culture I can feed off. The firat culture I bought was old, and lasted robustly a few weeks. Now the store only has these new ones that need time. Maybe they can hook me up.

EDIT: or I'll have to drive around Toronto to find something, and if you understand traffic in the Greater Toronto Area, that isn't very fun.

👊😏

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a unique situation, in that I know the folks that make the hydei cultures for the reptile shop ive been buying them from. A brick and mortar is always more accessible than say, a craigslist seller. But I will ask them if they have an established culture I can feed off. The firat culture I bought was old, and lasted robustly a few weeks. Now the store only has these new ones that need time. Maybe they can hook me up.

EDIT: or I'll have to drive around Toronto to find something, and if you understand traffic in the Greater Toronto Area, that isn't very fun.

👊😏
I feel ya. I haven't found anyone in my tiny town that sells fruit flies, so I got mine mail order and used it to produce more cultures. All my Hydeii have descended from that one culture

Have you made your own FF cultures? 

I put Hope down tonight. I realize I was being selfish. She wouldnt have made it.

So live and learn.

😔
I'm sorry 😢 

Yes. Very hard.

And that last comment you made almost killed me with guilt. But it HAD to be. 😔 

I saw her and what was happening. I had her up trying to support her to molt. For a couple days she was back trying to climb, with only one raptorial and two decent tarsi. Her back legs barely worked. Not happening.

She looked desperate to get up there. Chewing at her mesh. Id never seen her so pressed into the corners of her bin.

So' I taped her up to a wooden dowel. She was solid and this tape is easily removed, but she fought it and struggled. When I saw one of her two remaining tarsi coming apart, that was the end.

I feel awful and selfish and immature for even trying this.

I am embarassed. 😖

But now I focus on all the good and healthy nymphs I have. 18 of them.

We will serve them a feast in her honour.

Latest posts