Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So cute! I love spinys. I just lost my subadult male today :(  He got himself stuck between a flower and the wall in his cage (how?!?) and I didn't realize it until he had struggled himself dead.

- MantisGirl13
this is really sad😢poor guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys. 

I need heat mats/pads, and I see they come in different wattage, with controls and without.

Gongylus gongylodes and Blepharopsis mendica have similar heat and humidity requirements.  Hymenopus coronatus is cooler than them.

So, I figure i'll have to control two temperature zones. The orchids need more moisture than the violins and thistles, anyway.

Can y'all recommend a wattage? Are 7/8W pads/mats enough? Or will I need higher power? 

I read in a post that ceramic tile can be used to 'diffuse' the heat across a surface. That's elegant, and I like the idea.

ANY feedback would be appreciated. I have but a couple days to put together and calibrate a rig for my higher-temp species.

Y'all have been super nice to me. I appreciate your help! :)

Yeah... I ordered the L5 gongy pair, an L4 pair of mendicas, an L4 pair of truncatas, and 2 L4 lady orchids. *heart palpitations*

I'll need heat, so I need to order some heat mats, or lamps.

👊😵
Awesome! I suggest a heat lamp, as it is easy to regulate the temperature in the mantis cages by just increasing or decreasing the distance between the lamp and the cage. You can get away with one heat lamp if you set it up like this: Thistles and violins directly under the heat lamp, with the lamp about 10 inches to a foot from the top of the cages. It is ok if only part of the cage has direct heat, because the mantis can move to where it is most comfortable. Set the orchid cages next to the thistle and violin cages, just under the radius of heat from the lamp, but not directly under it.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense! 

- MantisGirl13

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense! 

- MantisGirl13
You made perfect sense. TY.

I'll look at heat lamps. How about at night? I thought thistles couldnt drop to room temp, even at night? Or am I wrong? Our room temps can get down to 20°C (68°F) on occasion.  

I love that the two hottest sp. of my bunch want it dry.

Maybe I should wait to say "my bunch" til they're here. LoL.

Also, thick substrate method is okay for maintaining humidiy for the orchids? I hope I don't need a reptile mister? That's too wet I imagine?

And yeh. Screen cages then, hey? For both thistles and violins? I know the violins cant climb so they need a mesh or ladder system anyway.

That's for when they're older anyway. I imagine well-vented deli cups will do. I'll glue in some mesh sides for the baby violins to climb on.

Awesome! I suggest a heat lamp, as it is easy to regulate the temperature in the mantis cages by just increasing or decreasing the distance between the lamp and the cage.
I have non light emitting ceramic options in 60W and 100W. Maybe the 60W and keep it closer? I'm "in the weeds" on this one. 👎😣

I am inclined to buy a pair of these 60W...

https://www.amazon.ca/Zacro-Reptile-Thermometer-Infrared-Non-Light/dp/B0718XSZ31/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1548618570&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=heat%2Blamp&th=1

... along with a pair of clamped gooseneck style sockets. Yes, ceramic socket....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CG6MT3R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A99V6HTDVZPFG&th=1

You made perfect sense. TY.

I'll look at heat lamps. How about at night? I thought thistles couldnt drop to room temp, even at night? Or am I wrong? Our room temps can get down to 20°C (68°F) on occasion.  

I love that the two hottest sp. of my bunch want it dry.

Maybe I should wait to say "my bunch" til they're here. LoL.

Also, thick substrate method is okay for maintaining humidiy for the orchids? I hope I don't need a reptile mister? That's too wet I imagine?
Good, I'm glad you understand! Just keep the temperature as steady as you can (I have violins, thistles, and orchids and the temp doesn't drop more than a few degrees at night) 

And yeh. Screen cages then, hey? For both thistles and violins? I know the violins cant climb so they need a mesh or ladder system anyway.

That's for when they're older anyway. I imagine well-vented deli cups will do. I'll glue in some mesh sides for the baby violins to climb on.
Yes, screen cages if you can for the thistles and violins, orchids don't need them. Deli cups with mesh sides are fine for now for the thistles, but I might get the violins something bigger. I don't know if you are planning to keep the violins communally, but I highly advise not to. I tried, and I ended up with one. Need I say more? 

I keep paper towel on the floor of my orchid cages (well ventilated) and mist heavily once or twice a day, and the mantids are thriving. I don't think you need to go too overboard on humidity, just keep it between 60% and 80% and you should be fine. No reptile mister required. 

- MantisGirl13

I have non light emitting ceramic options in 60W and 100W. Maybe the 60W and keep it closer? I'm "in the weeds" on this one. 👎😣

I am inclined to buy a pair of these 60W...

https://www.amazon.ca/Zacro-Reptile-Thermometer-Infrared-Non-Light/dp/B0718XSZ31/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1548618570&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=heat%2Blamp&th=1

... along with a pair of clamped gooseneck style sockets. Yes, ceramic socket....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07CG6MT3R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A99V6HTDVZPFG&th=1
It look like you are all set! I use two 50 watt heat bulbs and they are perfect. 60 watts should be fine.

- MantisGirl13

Good, I'm glad you understand! Just keep the temperature as steady as you can (I have violins, thistles, and orchids and the temp doesn't drop more than a few degrees at night) 
Maybe I didn't understand after all. I completely understood the geometry you described, but wasn't thinking of infrared ceramics then. I was thinking of the old-skool heat bulbs. I was worried about lights off at night. I was thinking i'd have to use a mat at night. Now I understand I can run them 24/7. 

Yes, screen cages if you can for the thistles and violins, orchids don't need them. Deli cups with mesh sides are fine for now for the thistles, but I might get the violins something bigger. I don't know if you are planning to keep the violins communally, but I highly advise not to. I tried, and I ended up with one. Need I say more? 
I'll have to think quick then. I could have ordered those screened insect habitats (like butterfly habitats), but figured they'd be too big for nymphs that age. How long are L5 violins?

When you say "... Deli cups with mesh sides are fine for now for the thistles, ..." do you mean I should perforate the sides a bit, then hot glue mesh inside, or are ladderways up the sides okay without perforating the sides?  I could also cut windows. Is it a ventilation thing, or a climbing thing?

I don't think you need to go too overboard on humidity, just keep it between 60% and 80% and you should be fine. No reptile mister required. 
Cool. I'd like to stick to my cotton pads, because they hold and release moisture at a desirable rate, and are to me, just as easily disposable as paper towel. Sure, they're way more expensive per installation than paper towel, but I buy these pads at the Dollarama. Easy to change out every two - three days.  :D

Once my queens get their little capes, they'll sit in nice exos

It look like you are all set! I use two 50 watt heat bulbs and they are perfect. 60 watts should be fine.
.This will be good. I hope the included temp gauges are as cute as they look. If not I have my analog exo gauges.

I was gonna put em like this, if it isn't warm enough.

20190127_204303.jpg

Maybe I didn't understand after all. I completely understood the geometry you described, but wasn't thinking of infrared ceramics then. I was thinking of the old-skool heat bulbs. I was worried about lights off at night. I was thinking i'd have to use a mat at night. Now I understand I can run them 24/7. 
Yes, you can run them 24/7.

I'll have to think quick then. I could have ordered those screened insect habitats (like butterfly habitats), but figured they'd be too big for nymphs that age. How long are L5 violins?

When you say "... Deli cups with mesh sides are fine for now for the thistles, ..." do you mean I should perforate the sides a bit, then hot glue mesh inside, or are ladderways up the sides okay without perforating the sides?  I could also cut windows. Is it a ventilation thing, or a climbing thing?
L5 violins are about an inch long, if I remember correctly. Violins love lots of room, because they love to wander. 

It is a ventilation and a climbing thing. Neither thistles nor Violins can grip a smooth surface like plastic or glass, and they like it drier, so the more ventilation the better. The violins are ok in 320oz deli cups for now, but not as a long-term solution. just make sure that sith bothe species that the deli cups have paper towel or mesh lining the sides, or, if you can, have a screened opening on the side of the cage to allow for ventilation. All of this can be accomplished with a pocketknife or other blade, hot glue, and mesh or paper towel. 

Cool. I'd like to stick to my cotton pads, because they hold and release moisture at a desirable rate, and are to me, just as easily disposable as paper towel. Sure, they're way more expensive per installation than paper towel, but I buy these pads at the Dollarama. Easy to change out every two - three days.  :D

Once my queens get their little capes, they'll sit in nice exos
Cotton pads are perfect!

This will be good. I hope the included temp gauges are as cute as they look. If not I have my analog exo gauges.

I was gonna put em like this, if it isn't warm enough.
Ok. just make sure they have good ventilation! 

- MantisGirl13

Thanks @MantisGirl13.

Short term, I have a template in the works to cut my cups cleanly and easily to open mesh two windows inyo the side. I have mesh tops for the 32s.

Mid term, I ordered 12x12x12" mesh cubes.

Long term, there are 24"h mesh enclosures I wanna get.

👍

Thanks @MantisGirl13.

Short term, I have a template in the works to cut my cups cleanly and easily to open mesh two windows inyo the side. I have mesh tops for the 32s.

Mid term, I ordered 12x12x12" mesh cubes.

Long term, there are 24"h mesh enclosures I wanna get.

👍
You are all set!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts