Hysteresis' Mantis Stream - 2019

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can add a couple dowels just in case that's what she decides she likes, ghosts are pretty big but like to lay on 1/4" dowels so don't rule them out. But give variety. Besides dowels, include natural sticks of various diameters and popsicle sticks of both the regular and large variety if you have room. Put some on the ceiling. She may decide to lay directly on the screen or glass/plastic, I've had that happen before several times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!!! Hope you have the same success with the Megas!
Thanks! The megas are big. I'll have to try something different.

I had them out on the hibiscus plant the orchids mated on. And, there's no way a big male like that can make the right approach. 

So, they'll perch on top of a mesh cube. 

We'll see how that goes. 👍

Thanks! The megas are big. I'll have to try something different.

I had them out on the hibiscus plant the orchids mated on. And, there's no way a big male like that can make the right approach. 

So, they'll perch on top of a mesh cube. 

We'll see how that goes. 👍
That should work. I used a mesh cube for almost all of my matings so far and it worked.

- MantisGirl13

That should work. I used a mesh cube for almost all of my matings so far and it worked.

- MantisGirl13
I've watched videos of folk mating large aggressive species. It's all about feeding that female. Distracting her as required. Chopstick in hand. Doesn't seem possible to leave them alone to do their thing. 

Ya. It's a shame there's nothing like a mantis 'toy' that would keep the female busy while the male did his job. Then you wouldn't have to constantly feed the female!

- MantisGirl13

@MantisGirl13 Apparently it's possible! 🤣

She got hold of my tweezers and wouldn't let go. Even dropped her snack. 

20190520_225128.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol :)

Did the male mount yet?

- MantisGirl13

Nah. Wasn't having any of it. It was late so I want to going to push the issue. Here you can see him saying NOPE. 

20190520_225301.jpg

Before the cube, when I put them on the hibiscus plant, you can see how complicated it would've been for him. He ended up slinking away to the far side of the plant.

20190520_221227.jpg

Aw man hopefully he will be ready next time. I brought a bigger mesh cube just for the purpose of breeding. I think the 30cm cubes might be too small for bigger species 

Latest posts