Idolo Nymphs L2 now .. anyone at L3 yet ?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All 9 of my nymphs are L5 now and eating blue bottles. I now know that I have 8 femals and 1 male, I hope he stays with me. Otherwise I have females for trade. ;) So if anyone has males for trade and need a female, let me know.

Geoffrey,

I will send a female if you need it. :)

Thanks again

Mikhail

mrblue,

I agree with you on the sexing. It makes a lot of sense and after using your method it looks as if I only have 1 male. I'm 100% sure you are right about the sexing of this species.

Edit:

I must have posted the same time you did, but yeah it is a sad thing indeed. Hopefully someone will do a trade with me in the future? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4 Idolomantis remaining from Yen, all are in L4. However I haven't determine the sex yet. I will take some picture later today. Maybe someone can help me with the sexing.

I have 4 Idolomantis remaining from Yen, all are in L4. However I haven't determine the sex yet. I will take some picture later today. Maybe someone can help me with the sexing.
i would love to help, though try to get some of the tip of the underside of the abdomen as this is the only area you can really tell (stuff like antennae are not yet different enough to tell from).

All 9 of my nymphs are L5 now and eating blue bottles. I now know that I have 8 femals and 1 male, I hope he stays with me. Otherwise I have females for trade. ;) So if anyone has males for trade and need a female, let me know.Geoffrey,

Thanks again

Mikhail
Thanks MD .... I am afraid to look to see which i have .. i think i will wait a little longer. This way I can believe i have a pair. No need to fret about having 2 of the same sex since they are no where near breeding age. Sometimes ignorance IS bliss LOL

All 9 of my nymphs are L5 now and eating blue bottles. I now know that I have 8 femals and 1 male, I hope he stays with me. Otherwise I have females for trade. ;) So if anyone has males for trade and need a female, let me know.Geoffrey,

Thanks again

Mikhail
Thanks MD .... I am afraid to look to see which i have .. i think i will wait a little longer. This way I can believe i have a pair. No need to fret about having 2 of the same sex since they are no where near breeding age. Sometimes ignorance IS bliss LOL

"Sometimes ignorance IS bliss LOL", Very true.! ;)

But if you do end up with the same sex, I'm more than happy to help a friend out.

Thanks again

Mikhail

uote name='Geoff_K' date='May 31 2008, 11:18 PM' post='64596']

Here are 4 pictures taken today, 4 of my Idolomantis. Sorry if the picture is not clear, kinda shitty camera.

Mantis 1

IMG_0177.jpg

Mantis 2

IMG_0180.jpg

Mantis 3

IMG_0184.jpg

Mantis 4

IMG_0189.jpg

Hope you guys could tell me the sex. Thanks!!

Here are 4 pictures taken today, 4 of my Idolomantis. Sorry if the picture is not clear, kinda shitty camera.Hope you guys could tell me the sex. Thanks!!
they're all male, sorry! i'm sure you can do a swap with someone in the future though.

Well if they are all male and I almost have all females. what does that mean? We need to do a trade my friend. ;)

Thanks again

Mikhail

My advice: One of you two guyes better take all, because you will not be able to breed them when you only have around two pairs. Trust me in this one.

Nicest regards,

tierio

Some pictures of my L5 Idolomantis diabolica. All 9 are still alive and eating very well. I hope they will be L6 very soon?

2554711333_e62ca781f1_o.jpg

2555540268_9d7599e79d_o.jpg

2555547830_c5149f11fb_o.jpg

2554724971_4be351075c_o.jpg

2555552690_e4f00487f5_o.jpg

2554728729_6688576d7d_o.jpg

Good advice, but here's the thing, who will take what? I think I'm going to wait on this one and make sure the sex's are right before sending anything. But I'm sure we will work something out and breed this species successfully. So far they seam easy (Knock on wood) ;) . Only great care and time will tell.

Thanks again

Mikhail

My advice: One of you two guyes better take all, because you will not be able to breed them when you only have around two pairs. Trust me in this one.Nicest regards,

tierio

@mikhail

Good advice, but here's the thing, who will take what?
this does seem to be a problem in that everyone wants to breed them, but there are very few who would be willing to say "here, take all mine as you have a better chance of breeding them than me". i think it would be very rare to find someone willing to do that. unfortunately alot of the time it seems people are quite "out for themselves" and want to do things their own way and on their own which is a shame. but hopefully something can be worked out when the time comes.

So far they seam easy (Knock on wood) ;) . Only great care and time will tell.
raising them for the first four, five, 6 etc moults is really no big deal, as you've seen. most of the problems associated with this species will come with moulting and then subsequent breeding, which seems to be the biggest stumbling block. you could say these are first steps in a long journey, but then you could also say that a journey of 1000 steps begins with just one!

ps - i don't know when yours usually moult in relation to mine (i would have to go through this thread noting when you have posted news of your moults and compare them to my moults) but just for a guideline four out of my five moulted to 6th instar yesterday and today, so maybe yours are close?

My advice: One of you two guyes better take all, because you will not be able to breed them when you only have around two pairs. Trust me in this one.Nicest regards,

tierio
I think I would give it a shot with 2 pairs ;-)

Now if mine turn out to be both male or female i would be willing to work out a deal for ooth's from any breeding that took place. No need to let the 2 i have just die off is the way i see it.

Wise words, Mrblue. :)

I totally agree with you and think you have good point. It's very true and we are human and that's just our nature. But I'm willing to make deals with other people in a heart beat. I think another reason for people keeping them would be that they did pay a lot of money for them ( I know I did) ;) It would have to be someone that you really truest with mantis. It's a hard one, because I can see arguments happening if that one person sends the other their mantis and just to have them die on that other person. Then I can see a problem arising. One of us " Including me" has to be man enough to just understand that they are going to die.

Yen, has said the same thing in his experience with this species, that they are easy in between the first molt and the last molt and then you you still have to worry about them not breeding for you. I think feeding them a lot now is so important in the breeding of this species later, or for that matter many species. The reason one of mine died so far is that another of his room mates ate him in a molt. Since then I give them flies everyday, but still only time will tell.

Yes I believe you are right. They have been L5 for sometime now, so I remember yours are just ahead of mine? So hopefully I will see some action soon. The molts are getting longer and longer between each other. I can see why they become harder during these times, you have more to time for things to go wrong the closer they get to adult. ;)

I think as a big mantis family that we should all come together and work at keeping this species going in captivity, even if we have to make sacrifices.

Thanks again

Mikhail

@mikhailthis does seem to be a problem in that everyone wants to breed them, but there are very few who would be willing to say "here, take all mine as you have a better chance of breeding them than me". i think it would be very rare to find someone willing to do that. unfortunately alot of the time it seems people are quite "out for themselves" and want to do things their own way and on their own which is a shame. but hopefully something can be worked out when the time comes.

raising them for the first four, five, 6 etc moults is really no big deal, as you've seen. most of the problems associated with this species will come with moulting and then subsequent breeding, which seems to be the biggest stumbling block. you could say these are first steps in a long journey, but then you could also say that a journey of 1000 steps begins with just one!

ps - i don't know when yours usually moult in relation to mine (i would have to go through this thread noting when you have posted news of your moults and compare them to my moults) but just for a guideline four out of my five moulted to 6th instar yesterday and today, so maybe yours are close?

i agree with your whole post mikhail, but just wanted to add that as far as coming together to help each other keep this species in captivity, all i can offer you is information and my own experiences! because i iam in the uk so i dont think there is any swapping, borrowing or sending. however i think there are more people with idolomantis in the usa than here in the uk so maybe you guys have a better overall chance <_< :p

Well you are still in the mantis family, but off the hook here in America. ;) Yen, did share out every ones email that got his stock.

But your information is very helpful and I appreciate it, I enjoy hearing what you have to say. Keep the info coming my friend!

Thanks again

Mikhail

i agree with your whole post mikhail, but just wanted to add that as far as coming together to help each other keep this species in captivity, all i can offer you is information and my own experiences! because i iam in the uk so i dont think there is any swapping, borrowing or sending. however i think there are more people with idolomantis in the usa than here in the uk so maybe you guys have a better overall chance <_< :p

Latest posts