Idolomantis diabolica L1 eats BB fly! (Video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Crazy that an L1 mantis can eat a blue bottle fly already! I threw the fly in just to see how they would react and this one caught it within seconds. Took him forever to eat the whole thing but he did it.

These are pretty fearless nymphs. They strike at your finger if provoked.

Music by Precarious, of course.

That's crazy!

I thought they were having a hard time getting grasp on the melanogaster. They did much better with the Hydei but they might even need something slightly larger! Nice vid/music work!

they are really cool, waving their claws around like a robot.

I have tons of pics to upload but can't get to them yet. Too busy today. I'm hoping tomorrow I will be able to relax a bit. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup all four of mine handled a housefly each this morning! Dang that's crazy! They're barely strong enough to catch it but when they do they don't have a problem woofing the whole thing down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup all four of mine handled a housefly each this morning! Dang that's crazy! They're barely strong enough to catch it but when they do they don't have a problem woofing the whole thing down.
Haha! Awesome! Both of mine ate one each yesterday. These things are really cool.

I heard back from the breeder and I'll have more coming soon. :D

That's awesome! I was feeding my baby c. nebulosus nymphs that are L2 wild caught flies this morning and I was getting all giddy watching them struggle with them and devour them, even though they're like twice their size! Nice vid and music, as usual Precarious!
biggrin.gif

That's awesome! I was feeding my baby c. nebulosus nymphs that are L2 wild caught flies this morning and I was getting all giddy watching them struggle with them and devour them, even though they're like twice their size! Nice vid and music, as usual Precarious!
biggrin.gif
Yay! For me that's when it gets good. Fun to watch them snatch the flies right out of the air.

Yesterday I cought about 60 bb flies in 2 deli cups. I should probably post a video fo how I'm doing it.

Yay! For me that's when it gets good. Fun to watch them snatch the flies right out of the air.

Yesterday I cought about 60 bb flies in 2 deli cups. I should probably post a video fo how I'm doing it.
I spent a lot of my morning catching flies at my mom's after I moved all the mantids there. She's got a big fly problem and I grabbed a deli cup and lid and went after it! I fed all 16 nymphs at least one fly, some two or more, and Zorak got 3 huge horseflies. I'll PM you some pics.

Wow this is good to know the main reason i don't have a mantis is because i would have to feed it maggots but now i'm thinking i could just feed it a fly that i catch every day.You think a gongy could take on a full grown fly?

Wow this is good to know the main reason i don't have a mantis is because i would have to feed it maggots but now i'm thinking i could just feed it a fly that i catch every day.You think a gongy could take on a full grown fly?
Violins prefer flying insects. Flies are their food of choice. My sub-adults sometimes catch a fly in each claw, eat them both and come back for more!

Latest posts