Idolomantis diabolica

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya Rick! Paul tell him he did fine, it is not our fault that these mantis don't like our environment! I am waiting on my girl to molt, and by gollie, I think she will be a cookie too! But I am gonna eat her if she messes up! What good are three boys with no girlie?

My first Idolos should arrive shortly. Obviously since I haven't even tried them I may not know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that a wider-knit screen is more effective as the mantids grow.

The mesh butterfly cages I own (and that many on here use) have a very fine netting. Perhaps window screen would be a better molting surface along with many thin twigs?

Since Idolos are very large Empusidae, could it be their tarsi get too big to properly grip the fine mesh of the butterfly cage?

My first Idolos should arrive shortly. Obviously since I haven't even tried them I may not know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that a wider-knit screen is more effective as the mantids grow.

The mesh butterfly cages I own (and that many on here use) have a very fine netting. Perhaps window screen would be a better molting surface along with many thin twigs?

Since Idolos are very large Empusidae, could it be their tarsi get too big to properly grip the fine mesh of the butterfly cage?
Window screen, and or metal mesh is no good either. There tarsi can get easily caught and break off while struggleing to free themselves.

netting is not a good molting surface for them really at any stage either. Twigs and sticks work best as molting surfaces/perches. You also have to factor in weight. These guys can get quite heavy for there thin legs to surport them. Another reason why these guys tend to fall during there final molt is weakness. Could be from lack of nutrition? Just a thought of course. I have no hard evidence to prove this. Just speaken from what i have experienced myself. Hope some of this can help?

It almost sounds like the best thing would be to get large strips of tree bark and glue them all over the top of their enclosures.

It almost sounds like the best thing would be to get large strips of tree bark and glue them all over the top of their enclosures.
Sticks would be the better choice being they can wrap there tarsi around it. With bark there tarsi would be flat against it. No different from netting in my opinion.

I have this theory - an armchair one at that (read: haven't actually raised this species yet....coming in the mail now!) that the best bet would be to use an enclosure with walls they CANNOT climb and a lid they CANNOT hang from . This would ensure that they use the sticks provided within the enclosure.

Or do you suppose they would stay stubbornly on the bottom, trying to climb the (glass, for example) walls?

I was thinking of setting up a glass aquarium with a fiberglass lid. I don't think they could climb either one. Inside, I would have some sticks, and possible some live, potted plants...or maybe some fake plastic ones.

Anyone think that's a recipe for disaster?

I have this theory - an armchair one at that (read: haven't actually raised this species yet....coming in the mail now!) that the best bet would be to use an enclosure with walls they CANNOT climb and a lid they CANNOT hang from . This would ensure that they use the sticks provided within the enclosure.

Or do you suppose they would stay stubbornly on the bottom, trying to climb the (glass, for example) walls?

I was thinking of setting up a glass aquarium with a fiberglass lid. I don't think they could climb either one. Inside, I would have some sticks, and possible some live, potted plants...or maybe some fake plastic ones.

This may be a good way to encourage them to use sticks, never though about that. My Gongylus haven't had a single mismoult. Their cage is very thick with various dead stems and twigs, most very thin. I'll try the same method with the Idolos and report back periodically.

Not a bad idea, but if they should fall from there stick perch, then how would they get back up, if they cant climb the sides? Even if you have various sticks leading back up to the top, or even a house plant there is no guarantee they won't just hang on the sides of these sticks or a house plant, when getting ready to molt. I can see covering the whole net cage, or enclosure of choice, with sticks on the top to the point, where they have no choice but grasp them instead of the netting , or mesh top. I can see them trying to climb the glass for a long period of time. :lol: I don't think it's a recipe for disaster. Won't know for sure until you try it. Put it this way, if you see them hanging on the house plant all retarded, or sitting on the floor trying to climb the glass sides. Then you can kinda foresee the grim future! :lol:

but if they should fall from there stick perch, then how would they get back up,
Well, I had the idea of having lots of sticks in there, too....I've read that Idolo's need lots of sticks.

That would (theoretically) solve the problem, as it would present multiple points where they could climb back up.

I guess you're right, though. Just won't know til I try!

Sticks would be the better choice being they can wrap there tarsi around it. With bark there tarsi would be flat against it. No different from netting in my opinion.
Ah, I see. So they don't really have the capability at that stage to stick to things like other mantids do. I'm gathering information for the day that I get some of these! I do like the smooth surface idea too.

Ah, I see. So they don't really have the capability at that stage to stick to things like other mantids do. I'm gathering information for the day that I get some of these! I do like the smooth surface idea too.
I'm getting discouraged from even trying to own these guys at all... so far they sound like a nightmare.

This may be a good way to encourage them to use sticks, never though about that. My Gongylus haven't had a single mismoult. Their cage is very thick with various dead stems and twigs, most very thin. I'll try the same method with the Idolos and report back periodically.
This is way different from Gongy. I haven't had any mismolts with Gongy but lost three out of four Idolos to mismolts. I used the thin twigs for the last two and they still mismolted.

I am using the fiberglass screen and they are molting ok, the twigs, well I had to remove them in two cages this week, seems the males squeezed theirselves behind them and got stuck... what the......, these guys are causing a nice girl like me to swear:hammer:

I received them today! Am I in over my head? Only time will tell! Either way I hope to at least provide a bit of insight for others.

If I fail maybe I'll take a vacation to Tanzania to study/correct my mistakes... :D

This is like the pressure test on MASTER CHEF! My girl molted to sub today! she had not ate in almost two weeks, hand fed her and got very little in her, gave up on her last night, this mornign she molted fine! :lol: . Funny she hung onto the fiberglass screen instead of the sticks, so who knows, gonna need a toddy for this next molt!

ARRRRGGGGHHHH! I found my adult male laying on the floor of his enclosure yesterday morning. He had been with an adult female for last two weeks. I did witness him mount her a few days ago, but there was no connection. Unreal! He was perfect! :( I guess now he will make a perfect pinned specimen! <_< I just have no luck! :(

ARRRRGGGGHHHH! I found my adult male laying on the floor of his enclosure yesterday morning. He had been with an adult female for last two weeks. I did witness him mount her a few days ago, but there was no connection. Unreal! He was perfect! :( I guess now he will make a perfect pinned specimen! <_< I just have no luck! :(
Sorry to hear that, I know how does it feel, after a lot of work and care I had a couple of Adult Idolomantis, but because of my work I had to go to the south of Mexico for 4 weeks, in that time a friend of mine took care of the Idolos, after I arrived (they were about a month a half adults approximately), and I tried to mate them, I put them together at night and left them along, I was watching them, and the male was very active like never before, I was sure they should mate, but after I woke up, the male was laying on the floor and the female hanging from the top of the enclosure with her "raptor arms", and a few seconds later I saw her fell down (even she was near to one wall of the enclosure).

saludos

Latest posts