idolos and gongys living together

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddythemic

Reaction score
IMAG0400.jpg

This is an acrylic display case (for wine bottles, etc) that I got for cheap at a craft store. The sides have drilled venting for circulation.

The hanging ball-things are from a "mega" pet store - I included them to add a more 3 dimensional space to aid during molting. Also, the room-divider is a plastic springy vented material (craft store).

The temporary "substrate" is a pet store reptile carpet thing which will be replaced with something better.

Feeding is mostly via drilled holes but also fly containers that I put in the enclosure itself then open with a long stick.

The ceiling is a fine net material (similar to mosquito netting but smaller gauge). I attached it to the acrylic using drilled holes and twisty wire (don't like having glue around mantids.) I am sticking to this as I believe that it is a better material from which to molt compared to slippery wire screening.

The whole thing opens from the front with a little handle I made.

Thanks to Yen for the idolo and Brian for the gongys...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work.

My guess is too many flies and you'll get their spittle on the acrylic walls, so be prepared.

Good luck!

The "balls" are interesting. Mantids normally molt from the bottom, so I see those as causing more issues when molting is concerned because some of them hang near the bottom. They are good for more perching space. I think I would use em for adults.

Latest posts