In Need of Help... AGAIN!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MingMing

Reaction score
Hey.... OKay... I finally gopt the mix of the fruit flies with the warms... some flies were already live but the retards from fedex aparently dont know what THIS SIDE UP means and they killed everything that seemed to be alive... So anyways, I got the mix, I got SOME warms alive but I need to feed the nymphs asap... Does anyone know how long does it take to be born? they are the flyless flies... And Im desperate. I just need to know how long does it take for a warm to become a fly...

Are you talking about fruit flies or other flies?

It takes 5 days for them to become adults after they pupate. If you cant wait on feeding the mantids any longer, i would start to feed them some of the maggots that are in the culture already.

O.K. I take it that all of the flies got drowned in the culture in transit. From the time that the eggs hatch until the "worms" (gusano) pupate is about four days. By now, some should have climbed up the sides of the pot and formed small dark brown pupae (ninfa dormido?). They will hatch into flies after about five or six days, at 80F (~30C) which I think is about the temperature of your peninsula. Don't put them outside, just keep them where it is warm and bright, inside. They won't hatch any faster if you raise the temperature.

The tiny fruitflies, are called Drosophila melanogaster, in case you need to buy any more, and the larger are called D.hydei

A post by Katt reminded me of you a few days back. She mentioned using a small, fine mesh net used in fish tanks, and since you have a tank, you may have one. In the US they are almost always green with a twisted wire handle. Just go out where there is a lot of grass and sweep the net though it a few times, and with luck you should find some tiny insects like leafhoppers, which make good nymph food. Keep trying, don't give up!

One more thing. You said that you were unable to catch fruit flies with a light at night. Put a piece of that vinegar bread on a plate in your kitchen in the daytime. That always works for me.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Hey! Thank you all.

1.- Phill I already tried the bread there are no moskitoes here... only annoying ants and my mom forbidded me to do it again in the kitchen, the living room, even in the garden, she HATES insects in the house.... I know... Ironic... I tried to feed them with the warms, they just wont ate them... I havent tried with the dead flies though... should I try??? Also... 2 days ago, they put the anti insects dust and mist in the garden so its gonna be impossible to find buggs in the garden... :S Im gonna try to feed them with the dead ones, Im not sure if it would kill the nymphs (because of the vinegar... My dad told me they could burn ? )

2.- Agent... no moskitoes around anymore.. at least NONE for the next 3 weeks :(

What type of fish? I have found that the salt/heat method works the best but you need to make sure you do a full 10 days and then 3 days past that if the ick didnt go away until the end. Do water changes also but be sure to add back the salt that you took out. Otherwise I have heard copper works great but have never used it. It looks like you have tried it though so I would probably try the heat/salt method again.

little bit of beer or wine in the bottom of the bottle will also attract fruit flies if they dont get drunk!

:S isnt that kinda extreme? :(

plus, When I got the FF culture all of them were dead, I tried to separate some of them but it just got stinkier and gave up after waiting 10 days for the flies to come out... Im buying crickets now from a guy in Cancun, he sells tarantulas and they are legal, so if anyone is interested let me know lol

Latest posts