Incubation Success...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always love seeing ooths hatch with a bunch of little babies running around, it's exciting! Congratz! :clap: Nice job Mike!

All the best,

Andrew

The second ghost ooth hatched this morning, so 8 days after the first. This one gave me 32 nymphs and more mouths to feed:

_MG_0105.jpg

Kinda hard to see them all in this pic.
May I ask, how long where your ooths incubating before they hatched?

Thanks, Dayyan

May I ask, how long where your ooths incubating before they hatched?

Thanks, Dayyan
They only incubate for a little over a month so pretty fast. I just had another ooth hatch this morning, this time bearing another 32 nymphs (same number as the last ooth):

_MG_1112.jpg

how are you handling all of these nymphs??
It's not too bad. I usually separate them into two different containers with excelsior and just throw hydei in a couple days after with daily misting. If I had more deli cups, I'd split them into even smaller groups. I'm sending some off to a couple people on Monday and going to throw in a few extras for them. B)

This last ooth that hatched gave me 4 more nymphs the next day, so it was 36 total, not 32. Hope I get the same results on the next one.

My first ooth hatched this morning. This is from my first breeding attempt with my my female ghost and Paradoxica's male, who was unfortunately eaten. Luckily, his legacy lives on because I have 24 nymphs to show for it, and 4 more ooths to go. ^_^

_MG_0075.jpg
Nice nymphs you got there.

This morning I woke up with my hands full. Both a creo ooth and a ghost ooth hatched simultaneously. There are too many creo nymphs to count, but its somewhere around 60ish. The ghost ooth beared me another 35 nymphs (I accidentally smashed one during transfer so I only have 34 now).

Ghosts:

_MG_1241.jpg

Creos. They kinda look like tiny shrimp/brine:

_MG_1247.jpg

creo nymphs have too much energy. they're crawling and falling all over the deli containers and I didn't even mist them with Red Bull.

Congratulations!!! How do you incubate your ooths? I live in southern california and just had my Limbata lay eggs. I was going to leave it in the tank which gets lightly misted twice a week. it is about 6 inches off the subtrate hanging under a branch. Should I move it to a deli cup? my tank is an exo terra 12x12x18

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!!! How do you incubate your ooths? I live in southern california and just had my Limbata lay eggs. I was going to leave it in the tank which gets lightly misted twice a week. it is about 6 inches off the subtrate hanging under a branch. Should I move it to a deli cup? my tank is an exo terra 12x12x18
Thanks. I just lightly glue them to the lid of a deli cup with a wet paper towel at the bottom and mist once or twice daily (no misting on the ooth, just the bottom and sides of the container). It seems like all the ooths that I've been incubating are partial to the Cali weather because they've been hatching in only 4 weeks. The creo ooth that hatched this morning was laid on 9/28 so it was almost exactly one month of incubation.

Since you have a limbata ooth and live in SoCal, you can probably just leave that exo terra in your backyard and it will hatch naturally w/out having to mist it.