insulation foam?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've been informed that my cage isn't getting enough ventilation. So to counter act this I was going to cut holes near the bottom of the enclose and plug said whole with insulation foam.

I have 2 questions regarding this situation.

1. Is it a good Idea? or are there better ways to fix the problem

2. What kind of insulation should I use and where can I get it?

Also here's a picture for reference

http://imgur.com/imGXa

- Much Thanks

What size is the enclosure?

Is it plastic?

Is the lid vented?

With what?

Is the side vented?

What are you feeding?

You will need to prevent that from getting out right?

Look on Youtube there's a mantis enclosure tutorial

I've never heard of anyone using insulation. I think you need screen if you not feeding anything smaller then a housefly.

If you're feeding fruit flies then look for the No see um screen. I think that's what it's called.

Best!

I have vented my non-mesh enclosure cages with various kinds of tight woven screen and cloth. Even the smallest melanogasters do not get through most of the cloth mesh you can find in a yardage department. The aluminum vented lids for deli-containers are too large a weave and will allow the escape of the melanogaster fruit flies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine mesh hot glued in place works well if your using plastic vivs/delis.

DSCF0566.jpg

DSCF0760.jpg

boy those orchids are just waiting to eat each other! u don't have to use foam, use any cloth or nylons you have around, and tape it to it or use glue.

boy those orchids are just waiting to eat each other!
Haha, they played nice together, just some arm wrestling matches that ended in a tie. :lol: They all got their own deli soon after with no mishapps, and all 3 made 100's of babies for people I sent them too...I had to keep one female for me, she was just too pretty to let go of.

Latest posts