Interbreeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or creobroter nikkko(insert scientific ending) :stuart: if those hatch you could sell them for a good amount of $$. The coolest cross breed would be two mantis of a completely different genus.

Ok guys!

One ooth hatched!Nymphs are black??!!Just like Pseudocreobroter but smaller.I knew it would work.

I will post pictures later!Me happy!

Nikko: For my money, you are one of the best and most dedicated breeders around, and I am seriously surprised to see that your experiment (Creobroter pictipennis/C. elongata, right?), but you have an even steeper hurdle to climb in order to establish a viable hybrid. Usually, in crosses like this, the F1 generation will successfully cross back to the parents, though the parents In this case may well be dead before the F1 generation matures, but they will not successfully interbreed. If they should, by some extremely unlikely chance, produce offspring, though (and i am on record as believing that the parents would not produce offspring :) ) you will not have a new species but a hybrid.which does not rate a new binomial. If, (shudder) you do get an F2 generation, what do you plan to do with them?

A possible situation for mantids in general: the female of the species is parthenogenic and it is mated with another species. Sperm is stored in the female via successful male connection or artificially. Oothecae is produced and only hatches a few nymphs. It would be difficult to determine if the nymphs were actual hybrids or the nymphs that hatched was due to the parthenogenetic nature of the species. Tricky unless you can bring the nymphs to adult to see the differences (if any).

keeping them for personal use would be my guess but would not want them to be sold but its up to him to do with them as he wishes and no one can tell him what to do with them personally and destroying them is not very wise either being they can be studied and what not!

Post pictures! I forgot all about this thread until I reread everything, got upset with Phil, realized it was phil :tt2: , and then got interested in the topic again. I'm glad that you were able to pull it off and I hope you took detailed notes and documented everything! Keep us posted :)

Creo pictipennis/elongata

P1110087.jpg

hope you dont expect to be breeding them though there is a very high chance they will be sterile and unable to breed if its indeed a hybrid!

Very interesting Niki! The nymphs seem to favor Creobroter elongata more than C. pictipennis, particularly in the length of the antennae and also the coloration, if I remember correctly. Which species was the mother?

Very interesting Niki! The nymphs seem to favor Creobroter elongata more than C. pictipennis, particularly in the length of the antennae and also the coloration, if I remember correctly. Which species was the mother?
The mother was a pictipennis.I am not ver familiar with elongata so I really cannot tell for now they are too small...I mean we would need a microscope maybe....But I keep breeding pictipennis and have some fresh L1 to compare with.

From my first observation they seem darker than pictipennis.Also I noticed Creo nymphs do not behave exactly the same depending on the Creo species.

For example I found that C.gemmatus were faster and more agressive than pictipennis,elongata are extremely peaceful with each others,apicalis dont move much/not very communal, meleagris tend to be more jumpy.....I could go along.

So regarding behavior these nymphs are very calm almost lethargic.I am already facing some random deaths...

But they should grow fast and time will tell!

I keep them in a sealed terra,no escape/contamination.

Anyway they are alive...Alive!!!!!(Hey was not Dr Frankentein from Geneva?)

Bump. I would be interested in hybridization but not to sell. I'd only except trades from friends (most of which aren't even on here). It would be interesting. Maybe a Stagmomantis hybrid should happen? :p

S. Limbata x S. floridensis.... omg!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Creobroter elongata and the Creobroter. pictipennis are kind of the same thing so the breeding would work but may not work with all species of creobroters as some have different size and body issues,

I have 7 hybrids subadult for now.But I am a bit disappointed(dont know what I was expecting anyway).They really look like pictipennis.I will post pictures when they are turning adult.