Interbreeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No intermediate characters?

Like in this experiment:

The following article deals with possible hybridisation between species

Roy, R. & E. Cherlonneix (2009) Systématique et biologie de Sphodromantis biocellata (Werner) (Mantodea, Mantidae). Bulletin de la Société entomologique de France 114(4): 389-400.

Summary

Systematics and biology of Sphodromantis biocellata (Werner) (Mantodea, Mantidae). Sphodromantis biocellata, distributed in the equatorial part of the coastal region of West Africa, is a remarkable species by the diversity of the spots on the fore coxae, what made it was described several times with different names, here confirmed or put as synonyms, with land observations and rearings, which have besides shown that it could give hybrids with S. lineola pinguis.

1280_3363393162346664.jpg

The markings on the fore coxae of the hybrids is intermediary and variable concerning the number and size of the coloured spots. Matings between hybrid males and hybrid females occured but the females did not lay oothecae. It was found that no eggs have developed in the females abdomen.

you dont understand ryan there is reasons why not to sell such species if they are true hybrids as it could be a disaster in one aspect or another!

Hybrid Infertility is most likely in any attempt with interbreeding!

http://www.macroevol...ml#.TsRNKfKz7To

Not all Hybrids are infertile. But genetic chromosome structures play a big role.

Some weird facts

Ligers and other pantherine hybrids are not all infertile, mostly males are but so far all females have been know to be fertile. This is also the case with domestic cats to other wild cat species(look up Bengal cats)

The different species of zebra have not been able to hybridize within them selves, yet can with of equines. And as before, equine hybrid males are usually sterile, while females have been know to be fertile.

Reptiles produce fertile hybrids quite regularly, through human breeding of the different species mostly but occur naturally as well.

Then lets not forget other domestic live stock, there are numerous hybrid bovine(cattle) which are all fertile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they all females? If you have male, likely they are from the same species or just different subspecies.
Yes, this is a really important point that I have failed to mention in past discussions, that true F1 hybrids are often all of the same sex (darn!).. The same thing applies to other critters. Way back in my college days we looked at crossbreeds between gamefowl on the prairie. Here is a snippet from the Wikipedia article on gamebird crosses: "When male chickens inseminated female turkeys, both male and female embryos form, but the males are much less viable and usually die in the early stages of development. When male turkeys inseminated female chickens, no hybrids resulted although the unfertilised chicken eggs began to divide. According to Olson[20]turkey-chicken crosses produced all males."

By the same token, viable offspring from an F1 sibling mating generally confirms the same thing, that the parental generation were the same species or subspecies.

@ Nikko: You make an excellent point about the fact that the "hybrids" are not very exciting. Hobbyists often think that a cross between two different species will look spectacular, but usually they don't. There is nothing very special looking about a mule! In nature, F1 male hybrids of prairie chickens cannot inflate their brightly colored airsacs very well during their mating dance, and the females say, "Thanks, but no thanks".

I got an adult female 2 days ago.The colors are a bit different.The usual yellow spot is pink.I took some pictures but they are not good enough.One thing for sure I can see the difference!!I think I only got females...

I will post pictures in a few hours.

The best I can do for now.I am aware the difference is not obvious but I have a really cheezy cam...I will post some better ones soon!

Can you see the difference?

P1110615.jpg

Are there differences in the physical design patterns (for example the spots in the forearms in the mantids in Brancsikia's reply) besides color?

Are there differences in the physical design patterns (for example the spots in the forearms in the mantids in Brancsikia's reply) besides color?
No I do not see any difference in the physical pattern.I noticed yesterday the back of the head is of a different color.But I have 4 Sphodro species in culture so I will try some interbreeding with them by next year.

It looks more fun than Creos!