Jumping Phyllocrania paradoxa ghost mantid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypace2009

Reaction score
I was changing the paper towel out of my L4 ghost mantid enclosure while the curious little mantid climbs everything. She reached way out trying to reach one of the other mantid enclosures but it was about 2 1/2" away. I thought this was really cute until she jumped to the other enclosure. I am knew to mantids and totally unaware that they were very good jumpers. The really neat part of this is she is trying to make it to a flower pattern on our wall paper. She has climbed to the wall twice before the jumping incident so I moved the cup further away and she decided to use her neighbors enclosure to gain access to the wall. Has anyone else witnessed there jumping ability or a strange attraction to flowery wallpaper?

Yes jumping is one of their favorite things to do when they are left to roam around. You can see a study done about it, and video here.

Just wait until it becomes an adult and gets it's wings. Usually females are too large to fly, but still will often use the wings to aid them in jumping much further. Males though will fly all over your house. ;)

I probably would have gotten into mantids years ago if I would have known more about there personality's. Now I know to watch for high climbing, jumping,and later flying. I guess I need to invest in one of those mesh cubes so I can put theme in while doing maintenance on there enclosures especially before they get there wings.

I probably would have gotten into mantids years ago if I would have known more about there personality's. Now I know to watch for high climbing, jumping,and later flying. I guess I need to invest in one of those mesh cubes so I can put theme in while doing maintenance on there enclosures especially before they get there wings.
Their personalities are one of the reasons I stay with the hobby. ;) Even with several of the same species, there will be some that really stand out from the rest with their quirks.

I just use a backup habitat when I have to access the one they are housed in. After keeping many mantids for awhile there is a build-up of extra habitats sitting around unused. That is especially true after hatching a few ooths. :D

I have the small enclosure she came in but she already knows all my tricks of getting her in it. I will get some more insect cups so all I have to do is switch to a new cup. Does switching to new enclosure stress them?

I have the small enclosure she came in but she already knows all my tricks of getting her in it. I will get some more insect cups so all I have to do is switch to a new cup. Does switching to new enclosure stress them?
They do tend to be fast learners and have some memory. I know many of mine learned when I remove their sponge from the feeder hole they come running to catch the prey I put in. ;)

Switching them out might be stressful the first few times, especially if they are not tamed. I find some of my wild caught mantids prefer to be switched by using a dowel rod to grip to, and others like to come out and sit on my hand instead. Just try both methods and she which she prefers.

Regarding the idea of changing them to a new habitat itself, it seems most like the change as it gives them a new habitat to explore.

Holy cow! I had no idea what good flyers the male ghost is! My boy molted to adult a week ago and has been very quiet and docile until tonight when I was taking him out to feed him and he flew nine feet across the room at a level height!

My bug room is in a loft with a half wall above the living room. We are now brain-storming about how to temporarily close the 4 1/2 by 11 foot opening above the wall so he doesn't fly into the living room and become a cat snack! I'm hitting Lowe's and the fabric store tomorrow. :huh:

My budwing pair and Heirodula female also molted to adult in the last two days---are they going to fly also? My chinese mantids rarely flew and it was more short hops from my hand to my face but never any long distance flying. (I realize they have wings for a reason but no one posts about their mantids flying.) I've read threads where some people have kept their mantids in large houseplants but now I'm wondering how (unless they are flightless nymphs?)

Anyway, how much flying do your mantids do?

My female had a bad mismolt to adult and never flew. The male only flew from my hand to my face a few times. When I had them, I always took them into a small powder room to clean their cages (since I only had two mantids then, they were housed in the kitchen.) Guess he never saw anywhere to fly to except me! Now I have more mantids and they live in an open loft. Curtain will be finished by tomorrow!

How come no one ever posts about their mantids flying? I guess this means all the males will fly given the space? Any problems with them bashing against big windows like the birds do?

No, bashing into windows isn't a problem. They're too light for it to cause them harm.

Exposed incandescent light bulbs are a problem. Like most flying insects they're "attracted" (really trapped) to light and hot bulbs could burn them.

I've read threads where some people have kept their mantids in large houseplants but now I'm wondering how (unless they are flightless nymphs?)

Anyway, how much flying do your mantids do?
I often keep mine out on houseplants. Adult females tend to be easy to keep track of. With males you have to be more alert, but I find the larger species still fairly easy to keep track of. It is mostly the smaller species of males that you really keep an eye on because they can get lost fast. One trick with the boys is take them out in the day but make sure to put them in at night. Males do most of their flight roaming/searching for lady mantises in the cover of darkness. During the day they are usually pretty happy to find a spot they like and hang out. You just have to be aware of their capabilities, especially if you aren't containing them to one room and have a cat in the house. Personally, I wouldn't let a mantis free roam if there was no way to make sure the cat couldn't enter the area the mantis was in.

As far as to bashing into windows, lol that is basically how mantises land. They fly until they slam into something. :stuart:

Last edited by a moderator:
Salmonsaladsandwich,

Curtain is up, cold and hot floor returns are covered with organza, and I thought I had it all fixed---I didn't think about the light bulbs! The room has a couple of hot, recessed ceiling lights, three wall bullets (with CFLs) lighting the mantids and two heat lamps. So far, they haven't gotten anywhere near the ceiling, I think the CFLs in the wall are barely warm (I'll verify tomorrow) and thank you very much for the head's up---I shall turn off the heat lamps when the boys are out!

Krissim Klaw,

The room is now totally contained. I have several large plants and a tall group of curvy willow branches in the bug room (and I had a terrible time finding the Budwing after I left for a few minutes to answer the phone!) Not doing that again. Both the ghost and Budwing can disappear in the branches! So far neither has gotten to the big window but it has a five foot tall number 12 covering it, designed in bright blue and green LED lights (signifying this household as a Seattle Seahawks 12th man fan.) It is so bright, it might be a deterrent, or at least give them something to land on.

And, to her dismay, the dog is now shut out of the bug room when the mantids are being fed. Cats can't get in and now with the big curtain in place, the mantids can't get out Unless some other danger is pointed out to me, I think the room is secure and mantid-friendly.

I am assuming you only let one boy fly free at a time, right? And, your comment about the boys flying at night---now I get why my Chinese male seemed so agitated at night. So, in the wild, they are kind of like moths?

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts and suggestions. Very appreciated.

Latest posts