Leaving a pair of P.wahlbergii together

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoDave

Reaction score
Hi all. Earlier today I placed my female pw in with the male. The female has walked around a little and is now resting on the side of the tank, the male has not taken his eyes off of her but has stayed absolutely motionless for 3 hours now. Should this carry on into the night, do you think I should leave them together until something happens or remove her?

Thanks all

Dave

No matter. He made his approach right as i was about to go and take the female back out. He was doing much abdomen swaying and displaying, as he placed his arm on her she turned around and 'flicked' him off, she then made a retreat herself whilst the male remained in the same spot. I'll try again in a few days or a week or so.

Regards

Dave

Hi Ian,

Yeah it happened recently to my friends pair as well, so it was a nerving experience putting them together, hehe. I'll get piccies next time and hopefully something better will happen.

Regards,

Dave

Edit: Ian, did you take the female back out after a certain amount of time or just leave them together?

Hi Dave,

I put them in together, left them in for about an hour, and there was no signs of interest at all. I left them, gave the female a cric, and when I went back up, the male was half gone, lol.

Cheers,

Ian

Greedy women...I was planning on trying them again tomorrow (tuesday), but am considering leaving them another week. Will decide when it comes to it. Wish all three of us luck (me because my heart often misses beats when the female looks at him)

Dave

So far I've been having a crappy time mating this species lol I'm gonna try my 2nd attempt at mating my pair today and hopefully everything goes well. I will update you with whatever happenes.

Hi, yeah please do let us know mate. Do you all think it might be too early to try mine again? should i wait another week?

Dave

Here are a couple of pics. Stunning mantids.

Male

pwahlbergimale.jpg

Female

pwahlbergifemale.jpg

Very nice pics.

My pair are back together. This time the male has spent about 15 minutes waving his arms slowly at the female who is just giving him a motionless stare, he then started to move at an angle slightly away from her, waving his abdomen and flaring his wings, got a feeling it might be defensive rather than courtship so im ready to get her away again if necessary.

Dave

Quick update,

He started approaching her again, swaying his abdomen and displaying his wings. He approached and she turned and looked directly at him, at that point he flew over her and landed on her back at a slight angle, she is now simply facing forward and he has straightened himself out on her back. No sign of actual copulation yet, but im happy so far. I'm taking a couple of pics but they wont be good at all because i have to open the cage door to get a clear picture and to be honest i dont care, I want them breeding this time, pictures later :) Wish him luck...

Dave

Edit: She's starting to seem a little jumpy... Getting slightly nervous again :roll:

:lol:

Everytime she moves he taps her wings and abdomen petals rapidly but gently with his middle legs, his abdomen is pulsing alot. Interesting stuff so far :) How are yours doing?

pwahlbergicoupling.jpg

Like i say, sorry about the quality but i'm not risking disturbing them just for a photo of better quality :p

dave, with my sphods, I found a gentle blow would increase the abdominal movement, and cause then to actually mate. My male as been eaten,a s I said. Dayam female, I hope my furture wife will never do that to me , hehe :p

Cheers,

Ian

I didnt get a chance to try cause I been really sick lately but hopefully I can give it a go today or tomorrow. Im gonna feed the female to fatten her up some then place the male in and hopefully they do it lol. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ok...So I put my male in with my female about 20 minutes ago and nothing yet. He's not even looking at her yet so hopefully he will get to it soon. Will update soon.

UPDATE: I seperated them after an hour or so but will try again later on this week cause Im very sick at the moment.

Hi all,

He still hasn't mated yet, i've twice seen his abdomen move down as if he were going to connect, the female hasnt shown aggression to him since all the comotion yesterday, so im just waiting for what I hope should be the inevitable. However, one thing to please me this morning was waking up to one of my parasphendale ooth's hatching for us, there are about 16 so far, me happy :)

paffinishatchling.jpg

Latest posts