Leaving a pair of P.wahlbergii together

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done DMJ, was worried that you may give it up :)

My mated PW female lay her first ooth yesterday, only two days after the withness mating. Now it is a race between the two ooth and see which one will hatch first :wink:

So both your PW connected PseudoDave?

Hi all...

Checked on them this morning and they were still together but not mating yet, when I got home from work, again, he was off of her, at the other side of the tank. This time there was nothing to distract them so i'm not sure what may have happened in the course of today, only time will tell for me now i guess.

Dave

Im pretty damn sure they were connected. Her abdomen was a lil to the side so I wonder what that was about so I guess we'll have to see when she lays an ooth.

Well, i'm gonna be giving them another go either tonight or tomorrow night, the female is eating at the mo and the male is in his defense mode against a little fly...each to their own i guess. I just took a photo that I liked the look of for some reason, so thought i'd post it. Anyway, good luck to all of you with your breeding attempts.

Dave

pwahlbergifemale2.jpg

Excellent news mate, here's hoping for lots of babies. Tomorrow i'm gonna be (yet again) putting my two back together for one last meeting, i'll be taking pics as well so i'll make a bit of an update tomorrow night or saturday morning with some piccies of hopefully good things.

Dave

Ok guys and gals, got some news. I'll start from the last introduction, just a few days ago, the two were put together again. After a nervous approach by the male, he stopped approaching, and nothing happened or moved for a few hours after. However, the female started moving slowly past the male, at which point, the male attacked the female, very aggressively. I thought this was pretty strange but it seems to have been explained now... Unfortunately when I got home from work today i've discovered my male laying on his back with very little movement happening, it's sad to see him go but he'll be missed. Now, i'll throw a wee bit of good news in, once I was looking at my poor male, I decided to check on the female and make sure it wasnt something environmental, to find her laying an ooth, wahoooo (praying for fertility), but now, one more 'hint' of bad news. She's laying the ooth right now, on the 'grid-lid' of the Geo/Critter keeper she's in. Once the ooth is hard it'll be impossible to move, so i'm thinking i'll place a fine mesh screen like i use in my hatching containers over the lid so that any potential nymphs do not escape and then I'll just have to have this large geo as their hatching chamber, anyone see any problems with that? They'll be kept nice and warm obviously, but i'm more worried about too much drying out. Anyway, i'll leave you with a pic of the new mum (*fingers and all appendages crossed*), best wishes to all of you.

Dave

pwahlbergiilaying.jpg

EDIT: She's now finished and the ooth is just over an inch long.

Congrate Dave!! Let us know when it hatches.

Do you have any wood stick or branches included in the cage? My PW usually lay the ootheca on the stick provided. When I ran out of stick i used chopstick and when ever the female climb on the stick i know she's gonna lay ootheca on it.

Well, finger crossed it is fertiled. I will put a pic up when the PW ooth hatched.

Thanks for replying Yen. There are lots of twigs and branches in the cage, in a kind of circle, leaving the centre as 'open space'. She normally spends most of her time on the big centre branch, yet she moved upto her lid to lay, ah well, she's at least given me some hope that there's some youngsters due soon :)

Just an update. Approximatelyafter 40 days of incubation. Both PW ooth (one laid on 19th May and another on 21st) hatched. One hatched out about 55 nymphs and another only 8 nymphs. Here are some pics

pwh3.jpg

pwh4.jpg

pwh1.jpg

Great news yen, fingers crossed that i can get similar success. Have you named them all? hehe

Dave

Congrats Yen! I accidentally got one of my ooths thrown out but I still have 2 but wont hatch for a while.

Thanks!!

Another update.

The third ooth laid by the only survived PW female hatched today!!! Looks like about 50-60 nymphs.

IMG_0636.jpg

The PW from first ooth has molted into L2 by now. Here are couple of my breeding stock at L2.

Pwah1.jpg

Pwah2.jpg

Dave... Congrate to you too!!

PseudoDave, i ran out of name for them, can you suggest some :wink: