Lets see what you use

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suitable tank for giant asian, chinese mantids and african mantids. Any suggestions? I will be raising them from L1 to adults. What should I use for nymphs and what should I use for adults?

Here is my set up for my Gongylus, gongylodes :)

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

basking temp is about 105 degrees, ambient is 90 degrees, and the coolest part is 80 degrees. B)

get a 10 gallon tank buy some plastic mesh netting (like crosstitch board) measure it to length cut. then get some 1 inch pvc or something like it. cut 1 inch section. put a 1 inch section in 4 places. generally back 2 corners and 3/4 of the way to the front. put mesh on top of pvc. place decoritive rocks onfron where there is no pvc support. then either cut a small hole in mesh and put live plant in or depending on species might just lay on top. cover mesh with moss and decorations (orsand or whatever) fill t0 bottom of mesh w/ water. easy and attractive. top is acrylic sheet cut to size with 9 good size hole cut into it. pieces of screen stuck to it w/ silicone or hotglue. All done! $15 and U have a killer setup thats reusable time and time again!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice setup and cage!Pretty big opening, doesn't all the fly's fly out when you open it ? :p
Here's the kicker, the cage was actually given to me!!! It's fairly big and should easily house 10 gongy adults. ;)

There is actually a little door on the bottom, I use that to open and close (keeps all the flies from escaping in my bed room). :lol:

What should I use to house my giant asian? I was going to get 32oz containers to house them but they are only big enough to hold them until 5th instar. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My Didymocorypha lanceolata enclosure :)
dscf9146gw3.jpg
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: How in the world to you ever find any of them! I have a bunch of these guys, and they are very good at hiding! (not quite as good as my tarachodes though lol).

Do you really know how many you have in there? :lol:

I would also like to know this. Thanks!
:lol: You guys are amazing! Why didnt someone ask me? I put the holes in the lids! Wanna know how? :p Ya gotta have a drill and a hole saw! Set the lid on the cup so it has support and drilll awayyyyyy! ps making cheap housing in Bugatorium posts!

3fb836e0-df6b-4af5-9ecd-c0064bf369df_300.jpg

just got som violin mantids..... :p

heres the setup so far...big glass aquarium heated by big heat mat stuck inside the back wall + 60watt light bulb. a smaller glass aquarium fits inside. i made a custom wood framed lid, with lift out hatch and feeding hole.

gongycage.jpg

temps are 17c with heat matt and 33c with both, probably more under the spotlamp where they sit.

seem ok so far :)

edit. loving this species... great looking mantid and awesome to watch them try to catch ff in the air. always very alert and seem to havebigger appetites (than their skinny appearance would suggest) and feeding well. they seem happy to sit next to each other with only occasional boxing and display. they are level 2 and 3 the l3 have not tried to catch the much smaller l2 yet (and hopefully wont). if you can find these, and get the right set up they are well worth trying

Latest posts