let's start a thread of mundane occurrences!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a decade of lurking on various invert forums, I finally pulled the trigger and bought some. Yesterday I went to the All Ohio Reptile Show, and picked up a relatively mature female Acanthoscurria geniculata tarantula. She came with a freebie sling, so I chose a little Stromatopelma calceatum. I also got some starter colonies of Shelfordella lateralis and Blaptica dubia roaches.

There were way more invertebrate vendors at the show than I anticipated. The fellow I bought from had primarily tarantulas and a handful of roach species. He lives right here in Columbus. There was a fellow from the New York area who had tarantulas, scorpions, harvestmen, etc. I saw some ghost mantises at is table, but there may have been other mantis species as well. Several vendors sold exclusively isopods and/or springtails. I saw more enclosure related items than you can imagine. Nice, custom-made terrariums, light fixtures, heating, decor, etc. Trade shows might be the best place to get those kinds of things, because they're big, and you don't have to pay an inordinate shipping charge. It does cost $5 to get into the show however. And, of course, they had the usual variety of reptiles and amphibians that you might expect at a Reptile Show. Almost too much to take in really. :)

A I also got some starter colonies of Shelfordella lateralis and Blaptica dubia roaches.
Yay for roachies! I like S. lateralis and had a lot of fun keeping them, but they do have their cons. They are potentially infestatious. While it's not as your common as your known roach squatters, they're still a risk. Just be careful with them.

Yay for roachies! I like S. lateralis and had a lot of fun keeping them, but they do have their cons. They are potentially infestatious. While it's not as your common as your known roach squatters, they're still a risk. Just be careful with them.
Thanks. I'm a little concerned with the lats. There aren't that many of them. The seller assured me that he was giving me enough to establish a thriving colony. He said it would take 6 months, however. So far they seem more sluggish than I thought lats would be. Maybe I'm not keeping them warm enough. I'm feeding them Kibbles 'n Bits and providing pieces of sliced up oranges for hydration.

At least both tarantulas are eating. The dubias seem okay, but I've got more of them to begin with.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm a little concerned with the lats. There aren't that many of them. The seller assured me that he was giving me enough to establish a thriving colony. He said it would take 6 months, however. So far they seem more sluggish than I thought lats would be. Maybe I'm not keeping them warm enough. I'm feeding them Kibbles 'n Bits and providing pieces of sliced up oranges for hydration.
What temperature are you keeping them at? Lats are quite skittish and should be zoomy. As for their food, they're not a super protein driven roach. Apples, carrots, sweet potatoes and greens are good food for them! Oranges work too. I'd make sure to give a variety of fruits/veggies too. If you want to avoid fruit flies though, you can stick with greens like mustard greens, dandelion leaves, etc. Red runners seem to prefer fruits though so do what you think is best.

However, I would suggest you keep a very tight limit on the population as it grows. Keep just enough roaches for a steady colony. Have a tight-fitting lid with a roach barrier. I know these guys can't climb plastic but it's better safe than sorry. I know of an experienced guy who makes his own barrier for roaches and apparently it works better than Vaseline.

If you want a soft-bodied, prolific roach that's not nearly as much of a concern as lats, try orangeheads. I know @agent A would also have some roaches in mind that are safer.

I've been trying to get it up to 85 degrees, at least on one side of the enclosure. At this point I'd consider myself lucky if the population gets out of control. I didn't start out with all that many, and I've already had some die-offs. They'll zoom a little if I take the cover off. Most of the time they just hang out on the egg crates. I haven't seen them touch any orange since the first day. They're not big on dog food either. I'm wondering if I should have chosen lobster roaches instead.

I've got a heating pad for humans. I put it on it's lowest setting and sandwiched it in between the lat and dubia enclosures. The dubia absolutely love the heat. They've all moved up against the pad.

Last edited:
I've been trying to get it up to 85 degrees, at least on one side of the enclosure. At this point I'd consider myself lucky if the population gets out of control. I didn't start out with all that many, and I've already had some die-offs. They'll zoom a little if I take the cover off. Most of the time they just hang out on the egg crates. I haven't seen them touch any orange since the first day. They're not big on dog food either. I'm wondering if I should have chosen lobster roaches instead.

I've got a heating pad for humans. I put it on it's lowest setting and sandwiched it in between the lat and dubia enclosures. The dubia absolutely love the heat. They've all moved up against the pad.
I don't know if that heating pad is safe. They're not built to be constantly on and it's likely a fire hazard. I'd purchase a heat mat or heat tape with a thermostat.

As for the die-offs, it's possible they really just don't like the food you're giving them. Try some apples or carrots. Red runners go crazy for those.

lobsters and red-heads are great feeders! I have plenty of both
I use heat tape. It's so worth it!

I don't know if that heating pad is safe. They're not built to be constantly on and it's likely a fire hazard. I'd purchase a heat mat or heat tape with a thermostat.
Thanks. The heating pad is a science experiment. I don't plan on leaving it unattended.

As for the die-offs, it's possible they really just don't like the food you're giving them. Try some apples or carrots. Red runners go crazy for those.
I'll get some apples and carrots today.

lobsters and red-heads are great feeders! I have plenty of both
I may take you up on that. Let me see if I can't revive my lats first.

I use heat tape. It's so worth it!
I may take that route as well. I'm waiting for a space heater delivery. My goal is to keep a corner of the room at an elevated temperature with sheets of plastic. Kind of like a DIY grow tent.

Well, I still don't see the lats eating, but the dubia sure like the apples and carrots I bought. :) The space heater arrived. It's a wall mounted unit, so I'll figure that out tomorrow.

Well, I still don't see the lats eating, but the dubia sure like the apples and carrots I bought. :) The space heater arrived. It's a wall mounted unit, so I'll figure that out tomorrow.
Er, maybe just get something that's meant to heat enclosures for animals? Those are meant to be safe unattended. Space heaters are a fire risk. .-.

Er, maybe just get something that's meant to heat enclosures for animals? Those are meant to be safe unattended. Space heaters are a fire risk. .-.
Speaking of fires, Amazon refunded me for a smoke alarm this morning, but they didn't want it returned. I don't need the smoke alarm because I intend to get better ones. They have models that come in sets of three. They're wirelessly connected. If one goes off, they all go off together. That comes in handy if the space heater is downstairs and I'm upstairs. I figure I'd be less likely to sleep through it.

1.My parents are finally letting me get a gecko!! I’m going to go ahead and get a crestie.

2.My H. majuscula ooth I sent to Yen finally hatched too!! So excited for new babies. <333

3.I also found a wasp inside our local conservation center when I volunteered. I’m surprised she isn’t in her nest. Don’t these guys hibernate?

4. The conservation center has a two-headed black rat snake that’s about 17 years old. When I was feeding her, she decided her twin would be tasty and went after her other head. It happens a lot lol.

1.My parents are finally letting me get a gecko!! I’m going to go ahead and get a crestie.

2.My H. majuscula ooth I sent to Yen finally hatched too!! So excited for new babies. <333

3.I also found a wasp inside our local conservation center when I volunteered. I’m surprised she isn’t in her nest. Don’t these guys hibernate?

4. The conservation center has a two-headed black rat snake that’s about 17 years old. When I was feeding her, she decided her twin would be tasty and went after her other head. It happens a lot lol.
1. yay! I have too many cresties if you wanted one from me in spring...
2. oh fun did it hatch at Yen's place?
3. mated queens diapause underground
4. oop

Congratulations! I've got a bit of renewed faith in my Shelfordella lateralis colony. I just removed 4 oothecas from the enclosure. Google suggests that the oothecas should be kept relatively humid, so I put them in a separate enclosure. With some luck, in 20 days, I'll have nymphs.