Light timing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Predatorhousepet

Reaction score
I bought a timer to control the lights on my terrariums. At first I was going to do 12 hours on/12 off for the plants but then realized that might not be optimal for the mantises. Will they be okay with that schedule or do I need to change it to something else? 

Last edited by a moderator:
@Predatorhousepet I set mine for 14 hours of lights on for the typical light cycle of late spring/summer, and is found to be the optimal amount for culturing feeders (such as crickets) too. Also you can use a small nightlight for use as moonlight for your pets. See the posts in the thread below for more details...

Ok, thanks. I was kinda already doing that manually. I have a remote controlled variable color LED that I turn on at night when I turn off the main lights. I usually choose blue or purple to simulate a nightscape. I didn't have a set time for the lights, I just turned them off when I went to bed but that was kinda all over the place so I figured a timer would make things a lot easier. I ended up buying a fancy wifi controlled surge protector that has timer functionality...so I am able to control the lights with my phone or just leave it set with the timer function.

@Predatorhousepet Sounds like most I imagine. Waiting for the "sun" to get turned on each day for it to be late or early several hours (and off varying) has got to be outright strange though. :)

Great to hear and sounds nice. With being WIFI if you ever wanted to get fancy you could run a program to simulate various lighting for stormy/cloudy/overcast/sunny/etc days. ;)

I was mainly trying to make their night/day cycle less chaotic because that can't be healthy for them (or me for that matter but a timer isn't going to fix my issues) but that is an interesting idea. I hadn't even considered wifi would  be able to do something like that but it would make their sunlight follow more natural patterns.

Latest posts