Lighting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like most other creatures on the earth, insects need a regular day and night.

As with farmers that raise chickens and such, many big hatcheries and egg farms, use lights at night, that come on for just a second or so with such blinding intensity so it will dialiate the birds eyes and they will think it is day so they will continue to lay whereas otherwise they would go into their normal cycle and produce less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost all animals benefit from circadian rhythms of day/night. Changes in day length help animals determine seasons and regulate breeding etc. ambient light in a room should suffice for mantis as long as there's some regularity to it. Providing additional daylight via lights is a grea way to create a day/night temperature swing that most tropical animals benefit from as well

what is the importance of lighting? is it really needed? if so what kind of lights are needed?
As others have mentioned there are benefits to a day/night cycle. Can mantises survive in utter darkness or constant light, I wouldn't be surprised if they could but I wouldn't expect them to thrive as well as they could with a proper cycle.

A day/night cycle is needed. Specific lighting is not. Or at least we don't think so.

Some people keep tarantulas in the dark 24/7, but they like it, and they're not visual predators anyway. Tarantulas detect their prey by vibration or spider sense or something.

Nocturnal, cave dwelling and burrowing animals are just about the only animals for which a circadian rythmn is unimportant. Spiders are so good at hiding themselves away from the light, its not too suprising they dont really care either way

Being that mantids need light to hunt, what's the deal with putting feeders in with mantids when shipping? Do they actually catch them in total darkness?

It seems to be more a reflex with them Im guessing, Better they grab a fly in the dark to snack on than another mantid.

Here is a question that's sort of about lighting?

I use a heat lamp to keep them the right temp.

However, if they need a night with no light what do I use?

They are falling about 5 degrees under lowest recommended temp at night.

I think I saw some some reptile "night time" basking lights if I'm not mistaken???

Which given my track record could very well be the case!

Anyone?

Fleurdejoo -Heat mat is a good solution, however be careful with the cage used (some plastics may melt).

My t. sinensis sometimes hunted at night in complete dark (both moths and roaches (flying/crawling))...hope this helps...

Here is a question that's sort of about lighting?

I use a heat lamp to keep them the right temp.

However, if they need a night with no light what do I use?

They are falling about 5 degrees under lowest recommended temp at night.

I think I saw some some reptile "night time" basking lights if I'm not mistaken???

Which given my track record could very well be the case!

Anyone?
A temp drop at night is normal and beneficial. I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts