Ls or instar?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary18211

Reaction score
I was talking to another member on Instagram the other day about an image I posted. I stated that a mantis was an L2, and he suggested that it was at 1st instar instead of L2. What is the difference in Ls and instars? what does the L stand for?

If you look at the image/discussion, I concluded that he was right and that the mantis had not molted yet, but even if that was the case, Ls or instar?

First off that's an awesome picture!

Now to answer your question...There is really no difference between the Ls and instars, they mean the same thing. L1 is just an easier way of saying that the mantis (or any insect) has not molted and is in its first instar...L2 is equivalent to second instar...ect.

So you could almost just say I2, but we use L2.

In fact the L actually comes from the German word "Larvenstadium" meaning instar...in case you were interested why the L.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally you see Instar used for arachnids like spiders & scorpions

&

L used for insects like mantids & beetles

But basically they mean the same thing

Don't know about the whole "L actually comes from the German word "Larvenstadium" meaning instar" / LOL

Have always known L to stand for Life Stage

Ok so insects with complete metamorphosis the term is instar or L. These insects are caterpillars, beetles, and flies. However insects with incomplete metamorphosis where the babies look similar to the adults are called instars . Both of them can be referred to as instars but only complete metamorphosis insects can be called Ls. Now in the mantis hobby people seem to have developed the habit of saying L1 L2 etc... for mantids which is so blatantly wrong and it is one of my biggest pet peeves. Mantids are insects that look similar to their adult form so therefore they are instars not Ls like some less educated individuals call them. Now your pic is of a 2st instar orchid which means it has hatched from the ooth and has not molted yet in this form. By the way it's Matt :)

L just stands for larval stage, instars are less popular for some reason, i think mantids can be referenced to both as ive seen this argument unravel before. Tomato, toemahtoe. Ive seen Ls used more in the classification of insects that develop wings in adulthood, whether or not its done with a complete metpamorphosis.

Ive seen instars used as the larval stages of caterpillars as well. Which kind of makes no sense but hey wikipedia for ya, right?

Ok so insects with complete metamorphosis the term is instar or L. These insects are caterpillars, beetles, and flies. However insects with incomplete metamorphosis where the babies look similar to the adults are called instars . Both of them can be referred to as instars but only complete metamorphosis insects can be called Ls. Now in the mantis hobby people seem to have developed the habit of saying L1 L2 etc... for mantids which is so blatantly wrong and it is one of my biggest pet peeves. Mantids are insects that look similar to their adult form so therefore they are instars not Ls like some less educated individuals call them. Now your pic is of a 2st instar orchid which means it has hatched from the ooth and has not molted yet in this form. By the way it's Matt :)
Thanks for clearing that up haha. I know it's a lot to type out on Instagram, which is why I didn't ask on there. I searched for you on here, but used your ig name lol.

Latest posts