made it through the deaded black vomit...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sally

Reaction score
My orchid Alice started the dark vomiting yesterday. I just kept her misted and warm and offered water every 2 hours all last night. I left her free range on a fake plant for air circulation. Tonight she ate bbflys and ( knock on wood ) looks back to normal. All the other mantids are ok. All I can figure is I bought a plant from the supermarket and put it in her enclosure 2 days ago and even though I rinsed the leaves, maybe it had something on it. Needless to say you never know if there are hidden dangers in nonorganic greenery. Maybe tonight I will get some sleep

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of plant was it, perhaps it's a toxic species? Did you feed any crickets that may have ingested some of the plant and then your mantis ate the cricket resulting in secondary poisoning. Just a thought....

What type of plant was it, perhaps it's a toxic species? Did you feed any crickets that may have ingested some of the plant and then your mantis ate the cricket resulting in secondary poisoning. Just a thought....
. It was in the phylodendron family . I don't feed crickets to Alice, some of the other mantids I do give crickets. So far so good... Nobody else got sick and Alice is doing fine still. No more real plants though for me just in case. I thought she might prefer laying her ooth on a real plant but I guess I won't try that again.

Organic does not mean poison free.
That is true.... I am not going to do that again. I would love to use real plants , maybe if I was very selective and grew them from seed, but then there is always the soil issue. Research here I come :)

I was told by an experienced breeder that they will vomit if they overeat. Is it possible that she was overfed?

I was thinking about using some of the babies from my spider plant that I have had for years, but I will probably end up killing them if I bring them in. Fake plants don't die, so that is what I use. lol

I was told by an experienced breeder that they will vomit if they overeat. Is it possible that she was overfed?

I was thinking about using some of the babies from my spider plant that I have had for years, but I will probably end up killing them if I bring them in. Fake plants don't die, so that is what I use. lol
Yes. She is a binge eater. I have to limit her flys to 10. A day. She is a beautiful little piggy.

Latest posts