Male Or Female?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Loach

Reaction score
I am a newbie and just got my first Ghost Mantis nymph. How can i tell if it is a male or a female. I have allready named her Ripply from the "Alien" movies,so i am hopeing it is female. Thanks Drew

Not sure if it works for all mantis but you can count the segments on the back end. I think 5 male 8 female. I think the antennae are longer in male ?

if its female she will have 6 segments. I had a tough time sexing mine aswell on account of how small the started off lol. However, the easiest method I think on the ghost would be to observe its crown (headdress)... If its long skinny and jaggity you've got a male, females have shorter, stubby like crowns.

you can also check my ablum " Nymbit/Cyprus and look at Cyprus 's photo... Cyprus is a male where as fellow member Dmina's is a female(photo in the comments on cyprus photo.)

Last edited by a moderator:
if its female she will have 6 segments. I had a tough time sexing mine aswell on account of how small the started off lol. However, the easiest method I think on the ghost would be to observe its crown (headdress)... If its long skinny and jaggity you've got a male, females have shorter, stubby like crowns.

you can also check my ablum " Nymbit/Cyprus and look at Cyprus 's photo... Cyprus is a male where as fellow member Dmina's is a female(photo in the comments on cyprus photo.)
Agreed, this is definitely the easiest way to sex a young ghost

I am a newbie and just got my first Ghost Mantis nymph. How can i tell if it is a male or a female. I have allready named her Ripply from the "Alien" movies,so i am hopeing it is female. Thanks Drew
I named on of my idolo girls Ripley...Lol

Latest posts