Mantids and herbs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raya

Reaction score
I've been on a bit of a gardening kick recently, and the thought occurred to me...why not use my terrarium as a herb garden?

My tank is fairly large, so there's enough room for both the mantids and the plants, as well as being warm and moist. The waste the mantid produces would be recycled by the plants, and as well as being an interesting habitat, it would provide me with a regular tasty supply (the herbs that is, not the mantis!).

I've browsed the forum and quite a few people have had success with growing plants. Has anyone tried it with herbs? Would some species be detrimental to the mantis? Would it be okay to keep crickets in there too, to help flush out their systems?

Oh dear, remind me never to come over for dinner. :eek:

Crickets will probably make a meal of your herbs if you keep them in there.

Sounds good. I doubt crickets will mess with most herbs. SLugs like to eat my basil and cilantro though.

Good idea! I guess you just have to keep the herbs trimmed because if it gets too bushy, all the droppings will be held up by the leaves.

beer is though
So is copper and diatomaceous earth. Which is why my raised beds have beer traps on each side. I'm not looking for slug advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
its funner as well as funnier! :D

but i dun do that becos

1. i dun have a garden

2. im 11 yrs old

3. In singapore, the slugs just dry up and die. not much of a slug problem, except when you step on their corpses!

Latest posts