Mantids you keep together

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i saw that thread.I think the older they get the less likely they are to feed on each other, mine are all 5/6th instar now, would it be ok to keep them together, cos it's a pain in the backside removing tupperware lids to add flies into the containers. Flies are so damny annoying to handle too, so would rather smack in a pot of them than hand pick (tweezer) each fly individually.

And even after refridgerating, they warm up too quickly!

How long should you leave them in the fridge for?!
I have seen cannibalism in idolomantis even on first instar, which happen during the ill-fated shipment where the idolo ooth hatched during shipment for me, so no doubt they will eat each other rather than starving themself to death. But with plenty of food, they are dong alright together, not sure if "the larger they get, the less cannibalism they are" is true, mine been doing alright without any issue keeping together now at 6th/7th instar.

Few crappy pics here

cage1.jpg

cage2.jpg

group1.jpg

group2.jpg

Ouch! A sad scene...
It could have been worst.... i lost about 20 hatchling in that shipment, although 75% of the total hatchling miraclely survived.

I have two communal species, P. chlorophaea and P. paradoxa, but I house them seperately. It's a force of habit I guess. :p

Well - a little update...

I've been keeping Idolomorpha lateralis communaly - so far so god, they sometimes even get on top of each other and still - no agressive response.

They usually just hang from the mesh screen and pivot from side to side if disturbed or if a fruit fly gets their attention - which usually ends up with a fly being devoured...

I intend on keeping them together until sub-adult - let's hope they will do just fine.

I have eleven, so a plenty of research material - I really prefer communal mantids to more seclussive ones - more comfortable to feed them all at once and it's always nice to see them dueling a bit by showing of a threat pose - sweet! But I guess that all empusidae are doing great - both in the appearance and bahaviour departaments.

Today another molted into he 3rd instar - I must say that they grow very quick, and are rather big for such youngsters.

Failed - it seems that this experiment has to stop before I lose more mantids.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts