Mantis munching on ME!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gretchen

Reaction score
So a short while ago, I was outside handling my mantis. Things were fine, I had her walking on my hands, she'd stop, have a look around...she seemed mellow.

Then, all of a sudden, she looked down at my pinkie. First she got my fingernail in her little vise like grip, and next thing you know she's munching on the pad of my finger. I found this amusing for a few seconds, then I really started to feel her making headway into my flesh, so I grabbed her by the thorax and pulled her off.

What do you think was going on here? Surely she didn't mistake me for a bug? Was she just really hungry do you think, or worse, thirsty, and trying to get some blood?

I realize I'm asking a silly question in a way...who the heck knows what is happening in the mind of an insect, right? Just looking for the most likely answer.

In any event, I found her some breakfast in the form of a cricket!

Was it a wild mantis?

Sounds like she just though your pinkie finger was a bug, she may have impaired vision

and just focused on a moving target.

I always make sure I wash my hands before handling with as many sweets as I like to eat. I figure being tasty will only increase my chances of being chomped on.

Thanks for your answers.

Yes, she's a wild Chinese Mantis. She found her way onto my porch last Wed, and she stays outside. My cats want to get a hold of her very badly.

She's being a bit of a handful today. I keep putting her up out of harm's way, and she keeps finding her way down to the ground. I'm trying to compromise with her. She's now on the chair out there, lol.

normal with chinese just drinking the moister off your hand.

Okay, I gave her some water on a stick, she seemed to drink it...at least her little mouth was moving. :)

Latest posts