Mantises In Aus

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellsBird

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering, because a friend told me he wasn't sure if it was legal to ship foreign mantises into australia. And if it isn't legal, can any one tell me if they have a list of native australian mantises? Because google isn't working :blink:

Hahahaha, so any way, because it wold kinda suck if i got reallyn good with mantises, but all i could look after are garden mantises -_- I envy all you people with ghost mantises and Orchid mantises, be grateful for em!

Thanks,

Robyn

I believe it is not legal. We do have a few members from Australia who could be more helpful with this matter.

I believe it is not legal. We do have a few members from Australia who could be more helpful with this matter.
+1

you guys down under already have your own share of inavasive species. If i'm not mistaken, doesen't Australia have like over a hundred native mantid species?

Oh really? right now i've only heard of giant ainforest mantid, orthodera and a garden mantis :lol: If any one knows of any interesting (not saying these aren't!) mantids, like orchid ones in aus, cou;d they leave a list please?

Thanks guys :p

Robyn

A month ago, a friend who is working on his phd in UC Berkeley is applying for grant to Queensland studying phasmid for a month so I made a quick list of possible mantis species in Queensland only. Not sure where are you located but here is the list

Cliomantis lateralis Hinton, 1939

Cliomantis obscura Hinton, 1939

Metoxypilus lobifrons (Stål, 1877)

Myrmecomantis atra Giglio-Tos, 1913

Paraoxypilus flavifemur Sjöstedt, 1918

Scolodera pardalotus Milledge, 1989

Calofulcinia australis La Greca, 1966

Calofulcinia oxynata La Greca, 1969

Ima fusca Tindale, 1924

Kongobatha diademata Hebard, 1920

Neomantis australis (Saussure & Zehntner, 1895)

Neomantis hyalina Tindale, 1924

Rhodomantis queenslandica (Sjöstedt, 1918)

Hierodula majuscula (Tindale, 1923)

Hierodula pustulifera (Wood-Mason, 1878

Shoot, Robyn, the Mantis King may be right! My old friend Lolly lives in Bris, and the time on yr profile matches hers! Regardless, you can have hours of fun with this excellent checklist, complete with distribution maps:

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity...d/taxa/MANTODEA

Also, there is a famous series on the fauna of N.Z., which is readily available in oz (it's printed there). #19 is Mantodea and deals with what is laughingly called Orthodera novaezealandiae, but is really the Australian garden mantis. O. misitralis, which, as you know, is common in Queensland. You can probably find this book and other fun books on oz mantids locally or at the Andrew Isles Bookstore in Prahran, Melbourne. They have a website. Most folks end up ordering mantids from Deanna in Melbourne, but you should also try James Longo a forum member who, with Superfreak sells mantids from time to time. I can vouch for them. Good luck!

Haha- We are grateful Robyn! :)

Well, technically, it is illegal to ship foreign mantises into the U.S. I guess the Australian customs are just that much more strict.

But I agree with what Paul is saying-

You should check out some of your native species and share it with us.

To me, the Hierodula majuscula is by far the most outstanding species of Hierodula I have seen-

Cheers guys! I'm checking the list out now. And yes, I live on the Goldie, if it's important. And yes, I'm buying a mantis from jamelongo as we speak/type (ugh...technology is taking over!). The cheque for Dotty should be there sometime tomorrow...

So 'cited for my first mantis!

Robyn :)

Latest posts