Mantisplace Vs. Mantispets?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a big cage I think it is fine for them. Not those small cages people keep them as pets. Sorry that you have so much trouble. :eek: Do you have Orchid Mantises now? Is that your second favorite mantis?

Haha those sites look high tech! It looks good! Mantidpets.com sounds too similar to Mantispets.com. :(
AGREED!

Hey I've never bought from Mantispets so I can't really say anything about them.

They might be great to deal with!

It sounds from her posts like she really cares and loves what she does.

However as far as the name game goes with websites that's a free for all and you guys know that, come on now.

Hey I've never bought from Mantispets so I can't really say anything about them.

They might be great to deal with!

It sounds from her posts like she really cares and loves what she does.

However as far as the name game goes with websites that's a free for all and you guys know that, come on now.
Oh, they are both nice but the mantii are expensive.

Why are you guys fighting anyway? You two are really good at what you do, but why be rivals when you could appreciate each others devotion to the hobby that you both love?

Why are you guys fighting anyway? You two are really good at what you do, but why be rivals when you could appreciate each others devotion to the hobby that you both love?
Because it's fun to watch

I have said before and I will say again, Rebecca was my INSPIRATION for starting a business of breeding & selling mantids in the first place! Like her sig says, "A candle loses none of it's light by lighting another candle, so light as many as you can!" I took that to heart.

I do agree that mantidpets is a bit close to MantisPets, but as mentioned by another user, it's fair game. I'm not going to go out buying up all the potential website names just because I can, though!

Don't worry, Rebecca, I'm not angry. I already know there is plenty of business to go around for us both (and Peter too!) :p

+1.

If the mantids were cheaper i'd buy from them more
I suppose it's easy to say "mantids should be cheaper" when you aren't in the business. I didn't appreciate all the work that goes into Rebecca's business until I "walked a mile in her shoes" either. ;) I challenge anyone who thinks differently to take care of some 2000-3000+ mantids, EVERY day, for a year, and come back & say the same.

Y'all don't think about all the costs associated with taking care of, feeding, misting (distilled water), housing, cleaning, electricity, incidentals (such as excelsior for hatching ooths) and then, of course, going & buying new species or replacing lost species. The only way I can keep my prices as low as I do is by finding others (like here on the forum) whom I can trade with or buy, inexpensively, new species & species that I've lost. I only RARELY deal in ooths, and refuse to import anymore, as I've already been burned a few times and just can't afford the losses.

Now, let's think of actual PAY, like my hourly wages for taking care of all the buggers...ha...there really is none...joke's on you! :p I do this for love of the species & desire to get others "into" mantids as well. (i.e. Folks who would otherwise never have found the forum & gotten into them that way.) This is why I also sell them at local reptile shows. You have no idea how many people out there STILL say, "I never knew there were more than just a couple species!" & are simply fascinated...as well as all the kids who "Oooh" and "Awww!" over them! I really need to get a good vid of one of our shows sometime, but let's just say that it gives me no end of joy to introduce people to a hobby that they never would have otherwise known existed! (Peter should be thanking me, as I'm sure that his membership has steadily gone up as a result of new owners "searching" for all available info on mantids!) ;)

Tomorrow I am going out to the great Bob Clark's (think "big snakes"/Letterman show) facility to see some of his collection, and he has also requested some mantids, as he wants to try his hand at keeping them!

I also recently did an interview with a magazine contributor about mantids & their future in the pet industry. I haven't seen it yet, but it's the newest issue of Pet Age magazine, which is a trade magazine distributed throughout pet shops nationwide.

So, REBECCA & PETER, better batten down the hatches, because I foresee a storm of "bug enthusiasts" coming! A veritable "plague" of them, you might say! ;)

(Ha, watch. It will be my luck when the magazine arrives that there is only a one-sentence blurb from my interview!) Ah well...it'll be fun to think I've been "published" anyway! :D LOL

I suppose it's easy to say "mantids should be cheaper" when you aren't in the business. I didn't appreciate all the work that goes into Rebecca's business until I "walked a mile in her shoes" either. ;) I challenge anyone who thinks differently to take care of some 2000-3000+ mantids, EVERY day, for a year, and come back & say the same.

Y'all don't think about all the costs associated with taking care of, feeding, misting (distilled water), housing, cleaning, electricity, incidentals (such as excelsior for hatching ooths) and then, of course, going & buying new species or replacing lost species. The only way I can keep my prices as low as I do is by finding others (like here on the forum) whom I can trade with or buy, inexpensively, new species & species that I've lost. I only RARELY deal in ooths, and refuse to import anymore, as I've already been burned a few times and just can't afford the losses.

Now, let's think of actual PAY, like my hourly wages for taking care of all the buggers...ha...there really is none...joke's on you! :p I do this for love of the species & desire to get others "into" mantids as well. (i.e. Folks who would otherwise never have found the forum & gotten into them that way.) This is why I also sell them at local reptile shows. You have no idea how many people out there STILL say, "I never knew there were more than just a couple species!" & are simply fascinated...as well as all the kids who "Oooh" and "Awww!" over them! I really need to get a good vid of one of our shows sometime, but let's just say that it gives me no end of joy to introduce people to a hobby that they never would have otherwise known existed! (Peter should be thanking me, as I'm sure that his membership has steadily gone up as a result of new owners "searching" for all available info on mantids!) ;)

Tomorrow I am going out to the great Bob Clark's (think "big snakes"/Letterman show) facility to see some of his collection, and he has also requested some mantids, as he wants to try his hand at keeping them!

I also recently did an interview with a magazine contributor about mantids & their future in the pet industry. I haven't seen it yet, but it's the newest issue of Pet Age magazine, which is a trade magazine distributed throughout pet shops nationwide.

So, REBECCA & PETER, better batten down the hatches, because I foresee a storm of "bug enthusiasts" coming! A veritable "plague" of them, you might say! ;)

(Ha, watch. It will be my luck when the magazine arrives that there is only a one-sentence blurb from my interview!) Ah well...it'll be fun to think I've been "published" anyway! :D LOL
Wow. When you put it that way, It must be really difficult to keep and rear so many mantids. But it has its rewards :D

BTW love the new site update

Last edited by a moderator:
I do agree that mantidpets is a bit close to MantisPets, but as mentioned by another user, it's fair game. I'm not going to go out buying up all the potential website names just because I can, though!
People who are new to the hobby may mistype mantidpets.com and enter mantispets.com since they are so close. So, it could bring you more business, Carey.

Wow. When you put it that way, It must be really difficult to keep and rear so many mantids. But it has its rewards :D

BTW love the new site update
Thank you. Hubby has been working hard to make it look new & "fresh". I will pass on the kudos!

He also works with a guy who is a retired photographer (but may be coming back, what with the new aspect of "pet photography" and our influence! ;) ) We will probably have a LOT better pics of the different species here soon. He doesn't have a macro setup just yet, but I'm working on him. :p

I also have some ideas for new products to list here soon, but I need to get on the ball & get pics taken of some of the stuff that I still haven't had the chance to photograph yet first! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also recently did an interview with a magazine contributor about mantids & their future in the pet industry. I haven't seen it yet, but it's the newest issue of Pet Age magazine, which is a trade magazine distributed throughout pet shops nationwide.So, REBECCA & PETER, better batten down the hatches, because I foresee a storm of "bug enthusiasts" coming! A veritable "plague" of them, you might say! ;)

Cool! I hadn't heard of that magazine. Do you know if it's one that you can pick up in a store or do you need a subscription? Let us know how it goes.

I'm not going to go out buying up all the potential website names just because I can, though! Don't worry, Rebecca, I'm not angry. I already know there is plenty of business to go around for us both (and Peter too!) :p
But it does not sound good.
I suppose it's easy to say "mantids should be cheaper" when you aren't in the business. I didn't appreciate all the work that goes into Rebecca's business until I "walked a mile in her shoes" either. ;) I challenge anyone who thinks differently to take care of some 2000-3000+ mantids, EVERY day, for a year, and come back & say the same. Y'all don't think about all the costs associated with taking care of, feeding, misting (distilled water), housing, cleaning, electricity, incidentals (such as excelsior for hatching ooths) and then, of course, going & buying new species or replacing lost species.
Couple means two if you do not know. Aww........I would love to do that. Water costs just about nothing. Food does not seem to cost a whole lot. But when they all die is the thing..... and heat of course.

Latest posts