Mating mantises manually

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill krut

Reaction score
Would it be possible to take the sperm of a male mantis and put it in a female? After mantises mate can you find the spermataphore?

No and sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm. So why cant you take the spermataphore and stick it into a female mantises vagina? (if thats what its called, which i'm sure its not)

maybe he dont want to lose his male
if he does it right he wont. ;) iv havent lost a male yet..i lost 1 before on the flowermantids but thats cause i didnt feed her..if shes full up theres less chance she will eat him.i never heard of someone doing that before..lol

how would u get the sperm from the him..lol a fake female.lol

Hm. So why cant you take the spermataphore and stick it into a female mantises vagina? (if thats what its called, which i'm sure its not)
I am sure there is more to it than that.

Very carefully. :p
he would be going mental while u done that.u think he would let u do that..?i dont..u would put him through alot of stress i bet..This hole idear is silly.

i know for sure you can artificially inseminate sperm into queen ants, bees, bumble bees etc, so it is possible (although i'm not very familiar with Mantodea's reproductive anatomy). Like all artificial insemination, the success rate is usually so low that it's not really worth doing on a small scale.

Getting sperm from the male involves killing the male and manually extracting it from the accessory glands.

In laboratory conditions, sure... I don't see how your ordinary breeder can do it with success though.... The process would have to simulate and account for all hormonal processes, sperm capacitation, etc. etc. in order for the process to be successful.

Don't sweat it though. In the long run, mantids are not all that difficult to breed. There are much harder to breed animals out there... like Ceratophrys ornata.

You should see how they get sperm from horses. >.< I don't think it would be possible with mantises.
Please... I just ate.

Now I can't get that scene from "Jacka$$ 2" out of my head.

omg i,m just hoing to give the femal a big fat grasshopper so she don,t eat the male.. i dont want to lose another one -.-

no, i was asking because, that would be the only way to produce a hybrid, anyone ever hear of a liger?

no, i was asking because, that would be the only way to produce a hybrid, anyone ever hear of a liger?
Yes I know what a liger is but you're talking about mammals and insects. Completely different.

species to species is not a big difference though. I was just giving an example, it doesn't mean it doesn't work with insects. It hasn't been tried yet right?

Latest posts