Metallyticus violaceus consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually on the right track! I miscounted the segments on my molted "male". It's the female that molted! The male will follow suit any day now. In a week as long as the male is molted I should be able to start mating them

Good for you!

Did you already try to feed fruitflies? I gave mine some today, and they took the flies without hesitation. Even though it wasn't night.

no they are almost adults. they eat roaches. Im gonna do the fruitflies to the babies and see if it works.

yeah baby! just happened!

gonna separate now and in a few weeks let the mating commence! wish me luck!

H1YNOl.jpg

Congrats, they look good. I tossed 1/2'' crickets into my rotation for the adults, they seem to appreciate them.

Fabelous.

I fed fruitflies to sub-adults, so that also seems an option for people that don't have roaches.

I just threw a bunch of fruit flies in with my adults. It's kind of hilarious. The male seems annoyed and just skiddishly runs around. The female threat poses continuously at them. neither are trying to eat them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny. Maybe it's to soon after molting?

Or have they eaten something else already?

updates =), they are chillin and waiting to be sexually mature LOL that's about it. They are eating just fine. tried to give them crickets but they didn't seem to care much for them. they are still just going for roaches. and still just dubias. I haven't fed them any other roach and they are thriving on those just fine. always nice and plump when I wake up in the morning. I even half saw the female hunt this morning but she missed it.

updates =), they are chillin and waiting to be sexually mature LOL that's about it. They are eating just fine. tried to give them crickets but they didn't seem to care much for them. they are still just going for roaches. and still just dubias. I haven't fed them any other roach and they are thriving on those just fine. always nice and plump when I wake up in the morning. I even half saw the female hunt this morning but she missed it.
Any pics?

They don't go after p nivea? I thought for sure their green color would attract some attention...

Nice job man! ;) Keep doin work!

I'm sure they would. I'm just letting my colony get bigger. They are doing just fine with the dubias so why switch. I did put 2 adult niveas in there and they were gone the next day so they must have ate them. although p nivea is really good at escaping so I wouldn't be surprised if they got out instead.

Yeah, I'm personally waiting til my colony gets bigger before i start feeding out of it.... that bright green is irresistible for most carnivorous beats they probably ate them...good luck with the mating and such and keep us updated! ;)

All the best,

Andrew

caught something interesting today. Looks like A territorial squabble, but it appears the male initiated it and normally he's trying to avoid such things. I'm starting to wonder if this is more of some sort of mating dance than just a squabble. It's been happening more frequently ever since exactly 2 weeks since he matured to adulthood which makes me think it coincides with him being sexually ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts