Metallyticus violaceus consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats man! That's so awesome. I hope that you keep documenting these guys and shed more info on them. I'm really interested.

Congratz on the ooth man! That is such a intruiging place to lay an ooth...protection and camo... ;) Wish you nothing but success man, keep it up! :D

-Andrew

Maybe next time you should offer beech bark as a background, since it is rough yet doesn't have those crevices.
I set it up with cork bark because I wanted those cracks. The sides of the enclosure are still cork bark but I made sure the cracks would be much shallower. this wall is the only one with straight up crevices. I just wanted to see any difference in behavior or preference. Which apparently they prefer the cracks =)

I could have build an enclosure much more simply and without shelling out as much money, heck you could just build a square wooden box and that would be perfect. I just wanted it to also look nice. As much as I love front opening tanks, I find my enclosures kind of counter intuitive for cleaning for these guys. The front opening is huge and they can sprint out any minute. They escaped around 3 times so far. every time my heart stopped. Luckily I was able to find them each time...once it was outside on the sidewalk.....don't ask. lol.

yeah I'll probably try that wood out if I build another enclosure. thanks for the input =)

second ooth laid. This one is more hidden thant the other one lol. not much else to report. oh yeah I saw them hunt last night! but I Was unable to film it -_-

yeah I just noticed her stalk one and catch a dubia. she's super fast. the first ooth is fine I guess..it's still there lol. I spray them every day so moisturewise it should be fine.

here's a video of the female's behavior when it comes to laying an ootheca. She's looking for a good spot

what is going on with embedding vid in this forum? does the format keep changing? I'm not doing anything different than before yet it just won't embed.

Last edited by a moderator:
as soon as I can find a good time I will post. I'm worried. the small fruit flies are too big. the babies are the same size as melanos! Even my smallest roaches are too big! I'm contemplating using mites!? Also here's some interesting info, adults have NOOOO problem hunting melano fruit flies! this is actually the first time I have seen them actively hunt. So melanos are also a good alternative for food.

first ooth Is still hatching I believe. there's around 15 so far. 2 more ooths are incubating and the female is still laying. heck the male is also still alive and doing well. I have a feeling these guys are longer lived than your average mantis, or at least the males are. I just took a pic of the babies and a video of the male hunting. The babies look like specs so I will have to point them out with arrows lol. I will post as soon as I get back.

I fear springtails are too big if fruit flies are too big =(. I don't really believe in using them. Even my firebrats when I had them were too big in size since my melanos are smaller to begin with

Latest posts