Minimalist Housing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporeworld

Reaction score
Here's a quick pic of something I did for my silkworms a while back when I wanted to see if a few degree higher or lower affected their growth (essentially, it didn't).

What translates to mantis lovers, is that I think this may be a decent approach for a beginner who gets a mantis "gifted" to them, while they think of something better. Needs air holes in top, but otherwise, pretty simple. I think you could skip the tiny little vase and just run the leaf through the top (hanging down) instead.

LunaHouse3-1-06013.jpg

if you keep showing me ideas like this, I'm going to wind up with more mantids. (is that a bad thing?) :D

as it is I wound up buying 2 of the tetra water wonders just yesterday at my local petco for my ghosts. STOP MAKING ME SPEND MY MONEY!!!! :angry: :p

I have enough bugs in my home. what are you trying to do to me? send me to bug shows next? I'm doomed I tell you. I'm gona need pro help shortly if you keep this up. :wacko: :blink:

Harry

That would make feeding difficult. This approach is what the 32 oz insect cups are for with the vented lid. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

That would make feeding difficult. This approach is what the 32 oz insect cups are for with the vented lid. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
I think this is for a temporary housing, ie: free mystery mantids or if you get a ton extra.

but I agree, they could use some drilling for feeding holes.

Harry

I think this is for a temporary housing, ie: free mystery mantids or if you get a ton extra.

but I agree, they could use some drilling for feeding holes.

Harry
It is basically the same as the 32 oz many of us use. I consider those to be minimalist housing as well. Same idea basically except the above was designed for something else. :D

It is basically the same as the 32 oz many of us use. I consider those to be minimalist housing as well. Same idea basically except the above was designed for something else. :D
I'm lucky, I work in a deli. not everyone has enough cups...but I feel ya. ;)

Harry

You can totally use that with a larger hole cut in it and a cotton ball plug. Simple, cheap, no lid required! Although, I think I prefer having lids anyhow cuz they are easy to dump FFs into! Ports can be difficult without a funnel....

Yeah, if I did this for mantids, I'd put the hole (or 2) in the top (which I DID on a similar version a year or so ago).

The deli cups I've used are a little hazy, and viewing is the point of the whole thing for me (and the challenege). I eventually found some cylindrical ones with only a single seam to break the view, and stuck with those.

The deli cups I've used are a little hazy, and viewing is the point of the whole thing for me (and the challenege). I eventually found some cylindrical ones with only a single seam to break the view, and stuck with those.
Where have you gotten your cups from?

Five or 6 different places. The flexible ones always have that slight haze. I used cut 2 liter bottles for a while, and that worked alright. But the rigid containers have been my favorites. Really clear.

I do have some deli cips that aren't hazy, and most of the enclosures at mantisplace are clear AND already cut, so I usually point newbies in that direction - 1 stop shopping - mantis, food, enclosure, tweezers.

I wonder how many of you folks have nets for catching winged escapees...?

Latest posts