My carnivorous plants garden bog!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkayum

Reaction score
Here is my Carnivorous Plants Garden Bog! :)

Enjoy!

3495eyo.jpg

I honestly have no idea how many VFTS (Venus fly traps) growing in the bog. They're getting out of the dormancy. There are probably over a hundred of them growing... Oh my dear!

x0xow3.jpg

Another picture

33ndgt3.jpg

Again... :D

I think this VFT was probably red piranna & I'm not sure... :blink:

3449h5z.jpg

Drosera capensis alba

When I was a kid we had a VFT. My older brother placed a cookie on top of the cookie jar and placed the plant next to it. He told me it would eat it. He snuck back in the room and ate the cookie. When I went to check on it the cookie was gone. I was amazed and scared at the same time.

I've always been interested. How do you make a bog?
I got the white bog for free from my teachers. They knew that I love plants so they thought it'd be nice to give me that bog. I thought it as useless till I found the interesting facts that if the white color may prevent overheating from the sunlight and they do make great bog garden! I potted them right away. They loved it! :)

When I was a kid we had a VFT. My older brother placed a cookie on top of the cookie jar and placed the plant next to it. He told me it would eat it. He snuck back in the room and ate the cookie. When I went to check on it the cookie was gone. I was amazed and scared at the same time.
Haha! That's very cute story! Maybe I should do that to my one year niece. :devil: I used to tease my aunt that the VFTs could snap her fingers off. She freaked out because she think their spikey like teeths was sharp enough to snap off the flesh.. :tt2: Haha! She said she never seen them anything like that. But she was happy to know that they can eat any bugs. She wanted one so I gave her some. They fell into the dormancy and she thought they were dead so she threw them away. I don't blame her! I forgot to tell her that they can grow again in springtime! Oh my. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick, are the Venus flytraps sprouting from seed? The obvious option is that they are coming back from last years plants. I have never grown them, but soon I am going to try. If you have some you'd sell, I am a buyer.

What would be the ideal temp/humidity to keep a bog like set-up with several plants going? I'm thinking of trying this at some point. I really like the way this looks. :)

What would be the ideal temp/humidity to keep a bog like set-up with several plants going? I'm thinking of trying this at some point. I really like the way this looks. :)
Thank you! :) I used to buy my vfts from Lowes on clearance. Last year,they divided very quickly in during summer time. I also bought some seeds online and vfts too. I left them outside and they grew like weeds. I also put large rabbit cage over the bog to prevent from critters destroying the bog! I bought my bog inside for winter time and they were in dormancy. It's not that easy. I lost about maybe more than ten vfts. Some of them were my favorites! (some of them were stolen too!) I think the ideal temp for them is about 75F or bit more. They are adaptable to their enviroment & humidity. In general, the more direct light the plant receives the healthier the plant will be. :)

Super nice!I remember some carnivorous plant blossoming under 600W sodium tubes.They make nice little flowers also!

I see yours is about to blossom.

Super nice!I remember some carnivorous plant blossoming under 600W sodium tubes.They make nice little flowers also!

I see yours is about to blossom.
I didn't know that & thanks! I cut all of my VFTS's developing flowers because I wanted them to still growing. :)I have too much VFTS and enough is enough. No more seeds for me. Haha.

Latest posts