My enclosures.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joossa

Reaction score
Just thought I’d share some examples of what I use to house my mantids in. All of them have a mesh top that is either held on with a rubber band or the original lid with a large hole cut into it. They all have multiple sticks and paper towels for substrate.

PPB300145.jpg

PPB300146.jpg

PPB300147.jpg

PPB300148.jpg

PPB300149.jpg

PPB300150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With plastic containers cut a hole in the side for feeding. You can then plug it with a foam plug. Since most mantids spend time on the lid it will be much easier since you won't have to remove the rubber band and the mesh.

Very nice enclosures. Where did you get the glass containers? And I use labels on my enclosures similar to yours. What do you write on your labels?

Very nice enclosures. Where did you get the glass containers? And I use labels on my enclosures similar to yours. What do you write on your labels?
Only the fish bowl is glass; the rest are plastic. I got the tall containers from the dollar store and the rest were in my kitchen at some time or another.

I use two labels:

-The permanent label is the red/clear one. This one is for ID purposes. It includes: capture date, gender, and mantid number.

-The second one is a small post-it and is a feeding log. I write the day, and what I fed to that mantid that day. I can usually fit up to 8 days on one post-it, so I end up using new ones about once every week.

I love the Dollar Store for containers! ;) I bought a whole bunch of containers there for my mantids. Will have to post pics... :rolleyes: (one of these days, been meaning to get around to it). That's a good idea with the post-it notes. I've been trying to think of a way to label the containers without marking on them, that wouldn't be a hassle... not get in the way, easily removed, not too easily removed so as to get lost...

Only the fish bowl is glass; the rest are plastic. I got the tall containers from the dollar store and the rest were in my kitchen at some time or another.I use two labels:

-The permanent label is the red/clear one. This one is for ID purposes. It includes: capture date, gender, and mantid number.

-The second one is a small post-it and is a feeding log. I write the day, and what I fed to that mantid that day. I can usually fit up to 8 days on one post-it, so I end up using new ones about once every week.
Nice, I will be checking out the dollar store! I use very similar labels except mine are missing the capture dates. I do have the mantid number as well as gender, though. I also have a feeding log, but mine is kept in a notebook. I keep track of what they eat, when they eat and in what quantity. I also write down dates/times they are misted, molts, instar level, and have a "Notes" section where I write down observations made on them. I am a very organized person, but more importantly, I use this because of my lack of a memory.

I use mason jars (canning jars) with screen hot glued to the top. I will post pics soon. They seem to work good and they are very cheap. 12 quart size containers for ten dollars at shaws. (thats a grocery store LOL :) )

Latest posts