My experience collecting in Hong Kong and Malaysia

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.. now i really want to go, how did u get the mantid to go back home with you? im assuming u took a airplane there? did u ship them back to your house?

Now your trip is starting to look incredibly awesome!!!! Take me with you next time. :D
Sadly that's about the time I got for mantis hunting. Let me know when you go to HK next time Calvin. :) at least you don't have to fly extra 4 hours like me to LAX/SFO, and that doesn't include the transite time bummer!

I need to go back to Malaysia for some bug hunting!!!!
Chun, you should!!!

Wow, i'd be just like a kid in a candy store!
:) ... I am a kid too. a big kid :D

Yep I live an hour south away from Cancun, I dont have a butterfly thingy but Im sure I could find one and then go to some junglish area :p it would be awesome if you guys come or at least visit for some days :D
Wow..... skip the mantis i am going to Cancun :lol:

.. now i really want to go, how did u get the mantid to go back home with you? im assuming u took a airplane there? did u ship them back to your house?
Hmmm... I am going to just say all mantis brought back from Asia made it alright to US soil. Let it be L1 nymph or adult. but not via ship. Sorry that's all i can say. ;)

bext time you go to malaysia, tell me!!! I live just next door.
I did, didn't I?

Here are the dead specimen Michael has been keeping it for the past few months for me..... A big thank to him, now i need to find a way and start a pinning collection for mantis.

Bark mantis-adult male, theopompa sp most likely

bark1.jpg

bark2.jpg

Bark mantis-adult female

bark3.jpg

bark4.jpg

looks like a subadult female

bark5.jpg

bark6.jpg

Load of dead leaf mantis, here a few of them

dd1.jpg

deadleaf.jpg

deadleaf1.jpg

dt1.jpg

More to come....

The first one is a Humbertiella male, the other bark mantids are Theopompa, though. The dead leaves don't need an ID, I think... ;)

Edit: got the species name!

Move on with more dead one.

The long neck mantis (Euchomenella sp)

euchomenella1.jpg

euchomenella2.jpg

Lagre green mantis (Hierodula sp maybe)

hierodula1.jpg

hierodula2.jpg

A small mantis, could be Tropidomantis sp

mantis1.jpg

tropido1.jpg

tropido2.jpg

The Malaysia unicorn mantis.... I had three specimens, this is one of it

unknown6.jpg

unknown8.jpg

unknown7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Euchomenella heteroptera

Camelomantis sp.

Can't tell that one from pics

Tropidomantis sp.

Ceratocrania macra.

Nice......... I am planning to go back to Malaysia this Christmas... fingers cross i won't get quarantine for a week...LOL.. I think I might take a trip to Cameron Highland!

Nice......... I am planning to go back to Malaysia this Christmas... fingers cross i won't get quarantine for a week...LOL.. I think I might take a trip to Cameron Highland!
There is a small chance I may return this Christmas depending on my youngest sister's wedding plan. If she decided to have it in Malaysia (she's currently residing in UK) and my current project stage completed before Xmas we could meet up. :)

Yes keep in touch Chun. Thanks Pim, it was a great trip, too bad it is over, time flies when you have fun right :lol: Hope to visit Singapore next time too, it has been a while since I last this beautiful country.

More dead specimen....

This one has nice metallic hind wing.

unknown2.jpg

This one is wingless.... but her hind wing pattern looks cool

unknown3.jpg

Another small unknown species

unknown4.jpg

unknown5.jpg

There were always tons of dead specimen of other insects. Mr Yeh doesn't seems to care if they rot....

assorted.jpg

Large Chalcasoma

beetle.jpg

Huge cicada, which Michael broke it later showing us the body parts... what a waste! He doesn't care at all...

cicada.jpg

Another nice looking cicada

cicada1.jpg

He also mentioned this one is poisonous

weevil.jpg

I thank him for a nice specimen lesson and starting my trip back to my home town 180 km away, time to pack my mantis. My next trip is back to Hong kong, so the mantis fly with me :)

Yeah, we have extremely huge bugs back home. I seen an ant the size of my pinkie. Stick mantis almost my arm length.... LOL

oh i left out this nice species, i believed it is a Ceratomantis sp.

ceratomantis-1.jpg

ceratomantis1-1.jpg

Yup with dense tropical jungle there mean to be huge bugs. But i can see deforestation eating up lot of natural habitat. Cameron Highlands is one good example, plenty of commercial hotels nowadays.

So what mantids are you going to try and get in culture from all th ones you found?

I love the hind wing pictures... both the metallic and the other headless one! And the cidadas... :eek: :blink: Wow... that one is huge!! It's a shame Mr. Yeh does not take better care with the specimens! :(

Latest posts