My grasshopers are dying

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote

Reaction score
I keep grasshopers to feed my mantis but some of them (5 on 25) died. I keep them in a 20x30x20 faunabox (maybe a little smaller i didnt measure it). I feed them carrots and lettuce but i found 2 of them dead on the lettuce. I use some hygienic paper as a substrate, i mist their food with water so they can drink.I don't know if they have some illness. Since they died i gave one of them to my mantis, my mantis seems to be fine. But I'm wondering if i should keep feeding her with that. Other question is how should i gut load my grasshopers ?

Dead insects can rapidly start to decay and become filled with dangerous bacteria. If they died due to a bacterial infection, they obviously have a head start on that, so be careful with feeding dead insects. It's especially risky if you're unsure what they died from as there are many other things that can pass from food items to what you're feeding.

Grasshoppers tend to be relatively short-lived, so they may have just died from old age. Males are especially short-lived if they're breeding since they transfer a portion of their own reserves of nutrients to the female when mating in the form of a spermatophore. Otherwise, they could die from things like poor ventilation, insecticides, and parasitoids like gordian worms.

They are young and very small ones. Maybe there was some insecticides on my carrots, or maybe they didnt eat enough. I gave some bamboo leaves to the 5 grasshoppers that are still alive and they ate them and now they seem to be doing a bit better.

Latest posts