My Idolos

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeff002

Reaction score
My Idolomantis are housed in a tank from 40x40x60. The bin has a back wall where the Idolomantissen keep themself steady and on the sides I have mosquito netting stuck here, where they can hold on. The top is made of steel mesh, but below I've placed the musquito mesh because I find it better for gripping. Also there are many branches in the terrarium, mainly so they can not molt in the front, where the glass is still thers.

Idolomantisdiabolica2-11-101.jpg

The temperature is during the day between 28 and 36 degrees. I get this through 2 heat lamp above the terrarium, there are each 35W. At night the temperature is between 20 and 25 degrees. I have the humidity around 60% during the day and at night around 85%.

Some of the animals

Idolomantisdiabolica2-11-106.jpg

Idolomantisdiabolica4-11-106.jpg

Idolomantisdiabolica4-11-105.jpg

Idolomantisdiabolica4-11-107.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very very nice! is that 40x40x60 cm or inches? I'm guessing cm ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I still need to redesign mine, but I think I have til about L5 before the mesh/molt issue becomes a problem.

I am still leaning towards the spongy shelf lining for the grip, and a VERY cushioned floor. I'm also considering some more radical redesigns - like an upside down pyramid. I'm betting they won't try to molt on a slope, and will drift towards the ceiling. That, or an edged hourglass design, with a cutoff or slide door between the two chambers. Clearly needs a think-through...

The other thing I want to do is rethink the stick issue and maybe go with something like the foam you put on pipes (so you don't hurt yourself). I think they actually have a BETTER grip on the mesh screen than they do with twigs. So what is it that we're really aiming for...? If their little feet thingees (tarsus?) are all the way around the wire of the mesh, then the only way to improve that would be to either glue the tops of their feet in place from the top of the screen (only half kidding) or maybe use a soft plastic or rubber mesh instead, so their feet can actually peirce the mesh itself (and get a lasting hold). Do any of you pros out there have the science behind what keeps them anchored when molting...?

Yes, it is in cm. European ;)

This is my way to keep the humidity high

first we take a small plantbox

Luchtvochtigheidsmethode.jpg

I fill it with a layer of sponges

Luchtvochtigheidsmethode3.jpg

over it is a layer of gravel and I fill it up with water

Luchtvochtigheidsmethode4.jpg

I pack it in with mosquito netting. So the animals can not drown in the water or stick on the gravel, but just can walk over it.

Luchtvochtigheidsmethode5.jpg

After that we put in the terrarium

Luchtvochtigheidsmethode6.jpg

the heat from the lamps do the rest.

Latest posts