My technique for releasing native mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
I have a technique for releasing native species which seems to work pretty well and maybe would work for you. What is needed is just a 32 oz deli cup and what you do is glue the ooth or ooths you want to put outside to release on the bottom of the lid of the deli cup, and next cut out the bottom of the deli cup and also poke some small holes in the middle circles on the lid for extra ventilation and may not be needed if its going to be placed outside. I have done this last year with ooths with some success and this may be a good way to release them without the fear of the ooths being snatched by birds or what not.I think this method is better then just hanging them outside without any kind of safeguard to keep the ooth from being carried off someplace but this is just my own method. As there is other ways of course but this is one method I have used and have had success with and this may be a good way to get a good amount of nymphs to survive at hatching!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just released a horde of chinese mantid into my garden from my fresh hatched ooth. I do not see any of them, any more. I know the jar was full in the morning and empty in the afternoon. I will see if they start popping up when larger. I'm also hiding eggs around my neighborhood in bushes. Happy Easter! It's Kinda like a resurrection in buggy sorta way. It is amazing, that something that appears lifeless could contain sooooooo much life.

Here is one of my little ooth hatching contraptions using a deli cup and a cottage cheese container for outside hatching and release of chinese nymphs as its empty at the moment because I am waiting on my order of nine chinese ooths from planet natural!

oothhatchery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I always let them hatch in house, mist them so they can all have a drink. Then skip through my chosen field of weeds kicking there little butts out of the cage...

Haha!! :lol: I plan on letting my Chinese ooth hatch inside and probably take care of them for a few days so they can get their strength. Then out the door they go!

Latest posts