Need help sexing my budwing, and have q's

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synn

Reaction score
Not the best pics, sorry. Did the best I could with a bad camera. Male or female? I've been calling 'it' Bertha.

2-21-2009001.jpg

2-21-2009002.jpg

2-21-2009005.jpg

2-21-2009006.jpg

2-21-2009007.jpg

Also, does it look like its full grown? I assumed it was, because the person I bought it from told me it was an adult, but then about a week ago it shed and I feel bad because the humidity wasn't high enough, since I wasn't anticipating a shed, and although everything LOOKS alright to me, it's been moving really slowly and cautiously and seems weak and unsure of itself, which is weird because this thing used to EXPLODE out of its container whenever I even cracked it and try to run all over the place. It took me like 5 minutes just to coax it off its lid and only my hand this time! Haven't noticed it eat lately, but it's "butt" doesn't seem too skinny so I suppose it has been eating...

Any help greatly appreciated!

Doesn't look like an adult to me :/

As for sex determination you'd have to take a picture of the abdomen segments.

SHE is sweet :D , she has one more shed till adult! Can u take the time to make sure she is eating when u feed her? Also give her a good warm misting so she can get a drink each DAY. Then she will pick up, she does look a little on the thin side.

Thanks guys! I just misted her cage and she looked at me like "whats WRONG with you" before she started cleaning herself off, hah silly girl.

I'm glad it's a female, the name Bertha has kind of stuck.

She doesn't go right after pray, which is why I've only seen her eat a few times, and that was back before her last shed when she was a lot healthier acting. I'm going to pick up some new crickets tomorrow and I'll even try feeding her with tongs, to give her a good chance.

Thanks guys! I just misted her cage and she looked at me like "whats WRONG with you" before she started cleaning herself off, hah silly girl.I'm glad it's a female, the name Bertha has kind of stuck.

She doesn't go right after pray, which is why I've only seen her eat a few times, and that was back before her last shed when she was a lot healthier acting. I'm going to pick up some new crickets tomorrow and I'll even try feeding her with tongs, to give her a good chance.
I don't know about the tongs. Sometimes they get used to the tongs, and prefer being hand fed.

You can try and coax the cricket towards her. Just put it in the container and "help" to make the cricket arrive directly in front of her :D

Appears to be a subadult female however you didnt give us the best pics for sexing. Obviously it is not adult.

Bertha seems to fit well :) i agree with hibiscusmile that is a subadult female base on the size. Her color looks kind of pale probably just molted not long ago? Last molt can take 3-4 weeks depending on the amount of food and heat. Good luck!

Never had these, but it does look like a girl. Would be best to show a picture of the 'butt' for sexing! :lol: ;)

Latest posts