Need some help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jere000

Reaction score
Well anyways i searched and found my top mantids and wanted to know how to care for them anyways i would like to know all husbandry from feeding to enclosure size nymph to adult care and also if i could see your enclosures for all of these species.Anyways here are the species i would like to learn how to care for first orchid manits fav of all, second violin mantis, third devil mantis, and last a ghost mantis

Well anyways i searched and found my top mantids and wanted to know how to care for them anyways i would like to know all husbandry from feeding to enclosure size nymph to adult care and also if i could see your enclosures for all of these species.Anyways here are the species i would like to learn how to care for first orchid manits fav of all, second violin mantis, third devil mantis, and last a ghost mantis
Hi Jere. I suggest that you start with the ghost mantis. They are relatively inexpensive -- look at the "for sale wanted" section, and easier too raise than the other three species, none of which are really suitable for beginners. As for husbandry details. Take some time out (it's Friday, so you have the weekend!) and use the search engine (second from the right in the upper row of options) to check out "ghost mantis" and "Phyllocrania paradoxa." You'll find all that you need to know there. I would also suggest, though, that you buy as many as you can afford (ten is good) if you wish to breed them. If you start out with any of the others, particularly the devil's flower mantis, Idolomantis diabolica, you are likely heading for an expensive disappointment. Let us know how you make out!.

Agree with Phil on this Phyllocrania is a very good beginner species, though Hymenopus would be a good one for just keeping but not for breeding as the males grow way faster than the females.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Phil on this Phyllocrania is a very good beginner species, though Hymenopus would be a good one for just keeping but not for breeding as the males grow way faster than the females.
That would be the orchid mantis right really i don't plan on breeding yet do to the difficulty of rearing so many offspring plus i want to know this ahead of time because when spring hits i will probably catch a carolina mantis and keep one of them first.

I have been searching the forum and found nothing for ghost mantis like what size enclosure and if i could keep them at like 76F or if i need a heat lamp since i don't plan on breeding and also humidity.

I have been searching the forum and found nothing for ghost mantis like what size enclosure and if i could keep them at like 76F or if i need a heat lamp since i don't plan on breeding and also humidity.
76F is fine, no heat lamp needed; mist daily; make sure enclosure is at least twice the length of the mantis wide, and 3 times the length of the mantis high. Ensure adequate ventilation.

Latest posts