New here, interested in mantids.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosh96

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name's Brett and I'm 15. I've taken a recent interest in mantids, and more specifically keeping mantids as pets. I'm looking for a decent-size, beginner-friendly mantis species that also looks cool. So could anyone help me out with this? Any help would be appreciated!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Try a budwing. Easy to take care of and aggressive eaters. Easy to handle too.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome! my ghost has given me little trouble in the time that I have kept it. any stagmomantis, tenodera, sphrodomantis, hierodula, rhombodera, or creobroter are good for beginners. basicaly, anything with the "classic praying mantis" shape is good. a bit harder (but way cooler) are deroplatys (high humidity and temps), pseudocreobotra (warm temps, very good ventilation), popa spurca, and most stick mantis. check mantisplace.com for many different species.

So, I've heard that mantids also have personality or something? Can someone tell me more about this?

That's an interesting topic, because I always thought that bugs couldn't process having personalities. All bugs will behave a certain way based on species and varieties, but mantids are interesting because within a species, some will be aggressive, others will be jumpy, etc... It may not just be in mantids though, because I've noticed this in flies and scorpions too.

I like the africans and asians,nice and hardy,eat like champs and seem to have far less problems than others,but Budwings I've been dying to get all year,and know they're sound as well

well some are more jumpy than others, some don't eat certain foods while others do, and some have different behavior than others of the same species. does this count as personality?

well some are more jumpy than others, some don't eat certain foods while others do, and some have different behavior than others of the same species. does this count as personality?
I attribute mantis personality to their actions,likes and dislikes. Some sit really well,some run off,some only like certain feeders while their brother ect. will eat about anything. But mainly it is how they interact with humans and seeing food or eachother that I would say makes up their personality,whether that is a nature or nurture thing I'm not sure sometimes. I do know that some do really funny quirks like play peekaboo or stare at you for hours,and others will be shy and sit so that they do not face you,so you can truly get a really cute well behaved mantis,or a skiddish one or a fiesty one,but some of these traits I think can be toned down or over-come on ocassions,but some just are how they are lol

Latest posts