New Member and alot of questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwa

Reaction score
Hi new member from California, recently got interested in Mantids, found this forum and am here to pick up what I can.

So I was at the flower store today with the life and saw the jar o mantis they had as a pest control option. Somethings been preying on the wife's roses and an unhappy wife is an unhappy me.

I didnt think to look and see what type/stage of development they were in but they were refrigerated if that give it away.

I'm located in the California Bay area to give the climate details.

So if i where to get some what would be the ideal method for introducing them to my yard, would it be better to place the ooths (i think they are called) outside, or raise them to a certain age in a controlled environment?

What kind of attrition rate should i expect?

Would a breeding population be able to establish itself or would they die out in the winter?

I planned to introduce them in the rose bushes and other flowers in the front, the koy pond, redwood tree, and calla lilies in the backyard.

How many and I needing for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcoem! better to raise outside if thats where u want them, u could tie the ooth to a bush that is a bit protected from the wind and predators and wait for hatchings.

Welcoem! better to raise outside if thats where u want them, u could tie the ooth to a bush that is a bit protected from the wind and predators and wait for hatchings.
should I be worried about them getting wet or birds/ants/other predators

All native ooths get wet sooner or later in their natural habitat! Keep it sheltered from birds, as Hibiscusmile suggested and check it daily to be sure that nothing else is sneaking up on it. That way, you may also get to see it hatch!

As for attrition rate, you will be lucky to have a pair survive to adulthood from one ooth. They are a waste of time as pest controllers, but great fun to have around!

Could you introduce yourself on the appropriate forum, please?

intial post modified

Last edited by a moderator:
Place the ooths in the areas you want them. Nothing else needed. They will hatch soon. How effective they're as a pest control method is limited to be honest with you. Don't expect miracles. Welcome.

Latest posts