New Viv Build

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bug Trader

Reaction score
Haven't decided Theopompa or Metallyticus group yet for this one but I accidentally broke the left door on an 18 cube, anger took the right on off soon after and now we have the first ExoTrader hybrid, a glass top, with vent and screen door this is a mantid paradise after the 11'' flax watt is mounted under and on the back to heat it up to 90 or more if needed. I will replace the white screen frame with black when I get some in.

Just gos to show you broke doesn't mean not usable......

18 cube 019.JPG

18 cube 018.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nicer than the original. I'm not sure what it is but the exo terra doors always feel really cheap to me. Something about the lock mechanism.

Last edited by a moderator:
being most the exo terras these days are used for amphibians and reptiles Im a bit curious as to why they use a full alluminum screen lid, I always pull it, dremel the clips and install glass. The lids now leave them near impossible to control temps and humidity.

I built it Andrew, its a long time technique we have used in the dart frog hobby in order to create live natural vivs. The cork bak is layered in and sealed with great stuff, then carved to liking, dried and a silicone layer to water tight seal it and you press the media of your choosing in to make it look real. They take about a week to make the right way.

they can get pricey too, a nice living viv can be upwards of a 5-600 bucks easy after materials, drainage, media, live plants, ghost wood or cork tubes, misting system and other custom setups. And that doesnt even count the frogs in it. Some of which cost me 800 or more a pair so when it takes a week to make its a small price for something that will live in there over a decade and produce thousands of dollars worth of froglets.

I have a bunch of these vivs left over Im converting for mantids, I plan to work on custom heat and light ideas next for them. Nothing beats a natural looking living vavarium that cleans and manages itself.

Latest posts