Not eating after ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

germaineglass

Reaction score
My mantis laid her ooth two days ago. She ate a big meal of a couple of crickets probably 4 days before her ooth, but then nothing since. Is that normal? She is looking a little pale - but I may be imagining that. We've given her water - drops around her cage on sticks and the ceiling near where she is resting, but I haven't seen her drink anything either. Any suggestions? I am getting worried because she hasn't eaten in almost a week and she had a lot of diaherrea-like poops before her ooth and at least one post ooth. She has a cricket and a fly in her terrarium but is just ignoring them. Should I try to hand feed her or just let her be and she'll get back to eating soon...?

Offer her the water right up to her mandibles. Offer her honey right up to her mouth also. What kind of mantis and how old is she?

Based on a photo I submitted in an earlier post, another member identified her as Stagmomantis limbata. We caught her outside in early June and I believe she has molted 4 times since we've had her. I'll try honey and direct water. Thanks!

Normally mantids are voracious right after laying an ooth. I've never seen one refuse food for two days after.

So she is about 3 months adult then? She may be getting old. Keep her warm and keep offering the water and honey and maybe a smushed insect right up to her mouth. Hopefully she will accept something in the near future. It may be old age now.

I consider molting when she shed her skin. I never actually saw it happen, but the next day we would find a little exoskeleton at the bottom of the cage. After the last molt her wings seemed most fully formed - and it has been a few months since she molted.

I offered her a cricket and she held it in her arms but didn't eat it. I think I hurt the cricket when grabbing it - it is still alive but was just sitting on her forearms and she wasn't pinching it anymore (a few hours after I gave it to her). I moved the cricket off of her to make sure it wasn't eating her (which it wasn't) - but she still didn't show any interest. Do you think she is still a nymph? Or maybe she is just getting old? I wasn't sure what their lifespan was...

I offered her a cricket and she held it in her arms but didn't eat it. I think I hurt the cricket when grabbing it - it is still alive but was just sitting on her forearms and she wasn't pinching it anymore (a few hours after I gave it to her). I moved the cricket off of her to make sure it wasn't eating her (which it wasn't) - but she still didn't show any interest. Do you think she is still a nymph? Or maybe she is just getting old? I wasn't sure what their lifespan was...
If she has wings, and laid an ooth, she can't be a nymph.

Something is up healthwise. For an adult to go off food like this, especially after having runny poo is often a sign they are getting ready to go. It could be old age or something wrong internally. Sadly there isn't anything more than what you are currently trying. All you can do is provide a comfortable enviornment and offer her food and water incase she perks up.

Latest posts