Not hanging on the top.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterF

Reaction score
I find that our mantises hang from the top of their (various) containers. And this makes viewing/display challenging.

Are there any alternatives to the usual containers that might encourage them to hang on a stick instead? I am thinking gallon jars on their side (like a ship in a bottle, w/ wooden stand) but the little ones in sideways mason jars like to hang on the lids.

But any container suggestions at all that would improve viewing would be apreciated.

I have these great little split Beta fish tanks from WalMart that are clear all around with a clear plastic blue lid that work perfectly for small species (plus they're $5). Screen top aquariums work well too, and deli cups. Pretty much like angelofdeathzz said I guess! Pick a lid and go from there! :lol:

Get something that still allows you to view them hanging from the top.

It's an inevitable behavior. But I found that my lil' guy has sorta lessened that. He used to always be hanging out at the top. Now, when he does go up there, he gets kinda shaky and climbs down after just a few minutes or so. Maybe it's size-related?

I electrify my screen. Works pretty well.

I love the smell of burning mantis in the morning...

:tank:

What if I stood an aquarium on end? that would give me the side for "working". It would mean a smaller foot print.

I would of course offer sticks and sundry as replacement hang spots. And if they choose instead to cling onto the side screen they would be easily viewable.

I wonder if my mantises would get stay away from each other in the empty 55 or 95 gallon tanks we have. Probably a bad bet.

Latest posts